Post pictures of your necklace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used zip ties and fisherman's knot. I prefer the latter. The importan thing is to eave the mouthpiece unencumbered. I like my back up to be in every other way identical to my primary. It's hugely comforting to know that you are breathing from the same device without any limitations or restrictions after you donate your primary. Thus, I use dual S600s on my Mk 25.

Jim

DIR-Atlanta:
Did your Fundies instructor have a look at this setup? It seems a little complicated to me, and I'm curious as to what (if any) comments your instructor had about it.

I don't see how you think it is complicated? All I am doing differently is using zipties instead of stop-knots to prevent the ends from slipping through the mouthpiece zipties.

Personally, I've tried several necklace materials (and methods for attaching them) over the years. I finally settled on the thinner shock cord secured under the mouthpiece zip-tie, with knots in the ends of the shock cord to keep them from slipping out. That seems to have worked pretty well for me, as well as for most of the people that I dive with (who use a similar setup).

I used to use a thinner cord (1/8, from memory) tied in the same manner you describe, but I've found it to be too flimsy compared to the thicker cord. Then the reason for using zipties on the thicker cord is because tieing a secure knot is too bulky and interferes with the mouthpiece.

I use 3/16" bungie with a fishermans knot.
The only problem I see with your method, is every time you stretch or tug on the bungie, you put undue stress on the the zip tie. It will probably break on you, at the worst time of course. Murphy's Law.

Take care,
Chris

I use stainless steel safety wire instead of zip ties. Steel wire will not ever corrode or break, if applied properly.

froop:
DIR-Atlanta:
Did your Fundies instructor have a look at this setup? It seems a little complicated to me, and I'm curious as to what (if any) comments your instructor had about it.
I don't see how you think it is complicated? All I am doing differently is using zipties instead of stop-knots to prevent the ends from slipping through the mouthpiece zipties.
Your setup uses three zip-ties and some innertube to secure the mouthpiece and bungee, as compared to the setup used by several other folks in this discussion (including myself), who have a single zip-tie securing both. I was just curious if it was something you picked up in your Fundies class, or if not, whether your Fundies instructor had seen it and said anything about it, that's all.

froop:
I used to use a thinner cord (1/8, from memory) tied in the same manner you describe, but I've found it to be too flimsy compared to the thicker cord.
What was "flimsy" about it? Was it prone to breakage? Did it pull loose from the zip-tie? Something else? I've personally never had any real problems with mine, and I use the exact same setup on both my Openwater and Cave rigs. I'm curious as to exactly what deficiencies you found with it.

I agree with DIR atlanta. 3 zip ties, and an inner tube is not simple.

It appears that this was an effort to make the "knots" suitably small? Because large bungie is used instead of 1/8" size.

I use 1/8" bungie, put overhand knots in the ends and attach it with one zip tie. In over 250 dives (after some I forgot to remove the backup reg from my neck :11doh:), this system has never come loose. Nor has the bungie worn out.

I have one of the new silicon necklace things that was given to me. Haven't tried it out yet.

*pokes head in and waves* hi all... where do you buy the shock cord?? just a regular hardware or boating store???

almitywife:
*pokes head in and waves* hi all... where do you buy the shock cord?? just a regular hardware or boating store???

e-bay :D

I have a big roll of 3/16" shock chord. I can send you a few feet if you'd like. Just send some Tim Tams and enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope :wink:

Here in the US there are quite a few sources:

Boating/Marine supply stores(West Marine) - In the Cordage/rope section

Camping supply (REI ect) - Climbing supply... with the ropes... (ou can also get the tubular nylon for DIY spring straps) Also look in the tent repair sections

Millitary Surplus - Rope and cordage sections

Hardware (Ace, Home Depot) - Hit or miss...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom