Post pictures of your necklace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to just tie a loop using two half hitches, and pull it tight around the mouthpiece. At fundies on the weekend, it was suggested to use zip ties so that the bungee is permanently attached, reducing the chance of the regulator accidentally pulling off the bungy.

This is what I have now 6mm bungy, with a zip tie a couple of mm back from the end instead of a knot. I find with the thicker cord, the knot is too big and not as secure as zip ties. Then two zip ties holding the mouthpiece on - each one going under one end of the bungy, and over the other. To top it off, a bit of inner tube to make it look nice and keep the sharp bit of zip tie away from my lips.

Maybe pictures will make it easier :)

IMGP0356.jpg

IMGP0357.jpg

IMGP0358.jpg

froop:
This is what I have now 6mm bungy, with a zip tie a couple of mm back from the end instead of a knot. I find with the thicker cord, the knot is too big and not as secure as zip ties. Then two zip ties holding the mouthpiece on - each one going under one end of the bungy, and over the other. To top it off, a bit of inner tube to make it look nice and keep the sharp bit of zip tie away from my lips.
Did your Fundies instructor have a look at this setup? It seems a little complicated to me, and I'm curious as to what (if any) comments your instructor had about it.

Personally, I've tried several necklace materials (and methods for attaching them) over the years. I finally settled on the thinner shock cord secured under the mouthpiece zip-tie, with knots in the ends of the shock cord to keep them from slipping out. That seems to have worked pretty well for me, as well as for most of the people that I dive with (who use a similar setup).

CompuDude:
I was curious so I went to their pages to see the necklace they were offering (not that I need it).

I have a whole new respect for their backplates, however, after browsing around their site for a bit. :eyebrow:

http://www.salvodiving.com/backplates

(I never did find the necklace, though, have a link?)
No, but I was there last week and saw the necklace on their display. I noted the price because I just saw where Halcyon was selling one for $10. I thought 3 bucks is reasonable but I didnt need one since I made one already. If I hadnt, I would have bought that one for 3 bucks.

I use a piece of Trident black surgical tubing and zip tie it to the second, near the mouf piece. I hate bungee, as my experience has been it rolls and folds and generally is unruly.

Trident sells a length of this stuff for about $4 or $5 as a handle for a pole spear, I believe. Its not too large in diameter, and has never broken or got weird. I have over 500 dives on the most recent one over nearly two years. Mostly surf entries in SoCal. The thing is tough, the zip tie works, its one less thing for me to ever worry about.

I love it.

---
Ken

froop:
I used to just tie a loop using two half hitches, and pull it tight around the mouthpiece. At fundies on the weekend, it was suggested to use zip ties so that the bungee is permanently attached, reducing the chance of the regulator accidentally pulling off the bungy.

http://froop.net/files/scuba/IMGP0356.jpg
http://froop.net/files/scuba/IMGP0357.jpg
http://froop.net/files/scuba/IMGP0358.jpg
Nice job! Looks clean.. I especially like the added touch of inner tube over it all.

There are two schools of thought re whether you want the reg to be able to come out of the necklace or not. Some feel it is important that it can come out if you want it to, in case of a hangup on an obstruction, so you aren't strangled by your backup. Thus the knotted method that holds it securely (if tied properly and tightly) yet will release it with a hard enough of a tug. Others feel it should stay connected no matter what, thus the ziptie method. Both are recommended by DIR/GUE instructors, depending on which one you talk to. (Mine comes via MHK)

My take is that either will work, and both are recommended, so it's up you to decide which you want.

CompuDude:

There we go. Very well tied, I must say! I still think the zip tie method sounds safer (for me) if I'm not buddying with someone who's used to the DIR OOA method.

froop:

IMGP0356.jpg

IMGP0357.jpg

IMGP0358.jpg

Thank You! That's what I was looking for.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom