Post-pandemic comeback? Not yet! The dive industry is still crashing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All media, TV, movies, social media, advertisements, etc is completely devoid of anything scuba related.
A number of advertisements go on the principle 'sex sells.' Often hot woman. A mask on your face, a regulator in your mouth, a BCD, tank on your back, fins and a wetsuit don't make people look sexy. In fact, I think they can go a long ways to cover up the sexy in one of those hotties. Free divers can look hot. A diver on the boat during surface interval stripped to a bikini can look hot. Harder to rock that look in full gear. 'Don't hate me because I've got a back plate/wing...'

Another potential media outreach is showing them the nature one might find, but I wonder how many of the younger generations are into exploring wildlife? Older generations had a lot of hunters and fisherman. How are those sports doing?

One more thing...outdoor sports and recreation are often associated in the popular mind as ways to build and maintain fitness. That's not always true...not sure riding a motorcycle is burning lots of calories, but bicycles do. Scuba's associated with that. So if someone were picking between scuba diving and mountain biking, for example, which is easier to do regularly? Cheaper? Healthier? More apt to be done in a social group locally?

I love scuba diving, but I'm glad I don't have to make a living trying to sell it to people who aren't already in it.

Like it or not, millennials and Gen Z are the growth markets for the sport. Failure to cater to them will be disastrous. Adapt or die.
Any suggestions on how an enterprising dive shop should go about doing that? Other than advertising on Facebook and encouraging selfies on the boat and via GoPros, etc...

A number of advertisements go on the principle 'sex sells.' Often hot woman. A mask on your face, a regulator in your mouth, a BCD, tank on your back, fins and a wetsuit don't make people look sexy. In fact, I think they can go a long ways to cover up the sexy in one of those hotties. Free divers can look hot. A diver on the boat during surface interval stripped to a bikini can look hot. Harder to rock that look in full gear. 'Don't hate me because I've got a back plate/wing...'

Another potential media outreach is showing them the nature one might find, but I wonder how many of the younger generations are into exploring wildlife? Older generations had a lot of hunters and fisherman. How are those sports doing?

One more thing...outdoor sports and recreation are often associated in the popular mind as ways to build and maintain fitness. That's not always true...not sure riding a motorcycle is burning lots of calories, but bicycles do. Scuba's associated with that. So if someone were picking between scuba diving and mountain biking, for example, which is easier to do regularly? Cheaper? Healthier? More apt to be done in a social group locally?

I love scuba diving, but I'm glad I don't have to make a living trying to sell it to people who aren't already in it.

Any suggestions on how an enterprising dive shop should go about doing that? Other than advertising on Facebook and encouraging selfies on the boat and via GoPros, etc...
DC7AD37F-1482-41ED-AF67-F44CF63AF6E4.jpeg
FC5F8C91-DDC7-4EEC-8C8A-A89C0E8C5518.jpeg
:wink:

In regard to the short term, post Covid drop in travel, the resorts and travel agents have cut their own throat in a way. Going into 2020 I had 4 international trips booked. Whether I ever am able to utilize the rain checks most outfits have offered is still in doubt. I get that they had no control over the pandemic but that doesn’t give you the right to hold peoples money ransom for years. I also understand that it is tough to do when you don’t have new business, but if you put a deposit on a car and the company couldn’t fulfill it wouldn’t you expect your money back?

One stand out is Atlantis resorts, they have postponed our trip with no changes or charges, heading there this week (unfortunately after having to get a booster I didn’t want or need). The one fly in the ointment is an additional 575.00 in airfare because of? I believe that is my LDS trying to make a little extra because I know airfare is actually similar to what it was going to be in 2020.

That said I will no longer book more than a few months out so that I can better adapt to restrictions and not have to live at the whim of changing requirements.

Well said. It’s a double whammy of the lack of awareness you mentioned then the off putting dive shop/instructor culture I was mentioning either turns them away from starting or advancing in the sport.
My LDS is at least including a surf shop within the dive shop, so they’re getting surfers in and other people looking for surf related stuff like wet socks, light weight surf suits, swag, shirts, swim suits, bikinis, stickers, etc.
At least they are on a track other than scuba diving to supplement their business, especially since abalone diving went away. One further step would be to set up shop in a busy shopping mall preferably on a corner location within the mall. That would be pricey though. But, the exposure would be great. But then you have to wonder with the typical crowd going by with three kids one of which is in a stroller looking for the entrance to Target, would it be wasted money?

Where did you find the photos of the models in scuba gear/diving?
I never see this on let’s say freeway billboards, on TV, in print on anything currently in circulation. Is this in a dive related magazine or website? How would anybody not currently in diving see these photos and be motivated to learn to dive because there might be hot looking women involved? What if you are a woman, how is this relevant?

Where did you find the photos of the models in scuba gear/diving?
I never see this on let’s say freeway billboards, on TV, in print on anything currently in circulation. Is this in a dive related magazine or website? How would anybody not currently in diving see these photos and be motivated to learn to dive because there might be hot looking women involved? What if you are a woman, how is this relevant?
Don’t know why they exist, google scuba girls and you’ll find them, these were the sort of pictures that were often seen in the olden days.

Facebook would be the wrong social media platform for Gen Z and a majority of Millennials. Instagram, Tik Tok, Reddit (to a smaller degree), YouTube, Snapchat would be better bets. But yes advertising there, social media tags, influencers, are all things that are becoming more and more relevant.

Stop trying to push intro gear purchases down their throats. Which is problematic and paradoxical since those sales are highly lucrative for dive shops.

Focus on budget trips and experiences in the local area. I’ve seen a group trip for Blackbeard sell out same day while much nicer trips to Grand Cayman and Palau go un-filled. Be the dive shop at the beach with flags and pop up tents, be the one hosting social events.

I don’t own a dive shop, but am a tech employee, diver, MBA, soon-to-be-instructor, and Millennial, so take this all with a heavy dash of salt. Just applying what I see in other industries and markets targeting those generations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom