Post-dive regulator cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually there is a dead spot - it is the path inside the piston and LP chamber above the piston head.

the balanced flow through pistons are pretty much flow through with no dead areas

With the simple unbalanced piston regs, nothing much happens to them, since the air path has no dead ends other than the SPG.* It's one of the reason people like them for deco regs.

I

Right you are.

The lack of corrosion in the body fooled me, and maybe the fact that rebuilding a unbalanced piston takes a couple of minutes(?). Diaphragm regs and Balanced piston regs though tend to develop corrosion in all the nooks and crannies in the body itself, though for different reasons. Corrosion crapping out the "oh ****" O ring groove retires a MK10. The Oring grooves on a MK2 are on the piston itself though.

I have retired parts of a Mk2, but I don't think I have ever retired the body itself(?). I have retired a bunch of MK10s, and ULights, and MK20s from internal corrosion, because once the body is gone, it's not worth it to fix.

The tropics are hard on gear, so soaking well is important, but I always wonder if some of the internal corrosion comes from people misting salt water into their reg when they dry the dust cap, before the whole cleaning rinsing thing starts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom