Post-Cozumel Blues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

melfox26

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
When do the post-Cozumel blues go away? I've been back since Sunday night, and I still find myself looking on Cozumel websites often while at work. I even checked the Cozumel weather on weather.com for what reason I don't know.

Anyone else with similar experiences?

Mel
PADI Rescue Diver/Nitrox

Mel,

I know what you mean....same thing for us---came back from Cozumel the first of May

AZ Divers

It took me about 2 weeks, for the first week I had underwater dreams all night long. It was horrible, to think I was diving then to wake up on land. I itched to go back into the water so much that I've done some dives around here in a wetsuit just to get the feeling again. Let me tell you, 50 degree water is no fun!

I know all about the Cozumel Blues, that's why I started the Cozumel Addiction post. After 9 days in Cozumel at the beginning of the month, I came back so blue, that I'm now in the process of planning a trip back in August a few months from now. I've got the air and hotel set, but I'm still sweating on which great dive operator to use! That's a problem that I can live with. The 73 day wait is the real problem. But to answer your question, I don't know how to get rid of the blues but to go back and keep going back.

funkyspelunker:
divematt, what are your favorite operators there? I dove with Deep Blue the entire time and they were terrific.

To be honest, I've been to Cozumel a lot for 1 day on cruises in the past, but this was my first 9 day, 8 night, 20 dives, dive trip where I stayed in a hotel. I have done a ton of research and read a ton of great input here on Scubaboard. I have found out that there are quite a few good operators, and only a couple of bad ones. So I've limited myself to small fast boat operators that let you dive your computers. These ones would need to not mix divers with different skill levels. I dove last time with Del Mar Aquatics only because the trip was put together by someone else before I knew any better. After 2 days of the cattle boat and some complaining, we were luckily moved to a 31 foot 8 pack boat with twin 150 HP outboards. Every diver had similar skill levels as well. There was a lot less coral kicking on that boat. I guess to answer your question, from what I hear and read, you can't go wrong with Aldora, Dive with Martin, anything with "BLUE in it (Deep Blue, Blue XTSea, Blue Angel etc), Diving with Alison, and others. I'd say the people here on Scubaboard could better answer that question.

all you need to do is just start planning your next trip. Knowing that I will be back in Sept. certainly reshapes those blues into anticipation of the next adventure.

I start planning my next trip to Coz on the plane home. I keep telling myself that I should go dive someplace new, but...

We were home 10 days from a trip to Cozumel in April when I booked another trip for July! I rationalized the expenditure to my wife by saying that this trip will be cheap because we don't have to buy any new equipment or anything. I argued that now that we are fully equipped why let all our gear sit around unused?! But she did not need any convincing.

I am planning another trip for late fall or early 2005. Why wait! Although I could use another tax cut to finance these trips!

I did the same rationalizing. I said, we'll save money by choosing a hotel close to town, reducing taxi fares to dinner. I said we've now got all of the scuba gear, and DAN insurance is paid up. I said we've got all of the Cozumel T-shirts from last time. The summer clothes have all been bought. Research showed us how to rent a car for a day for half of what we paid last time. Heck, this trip ought to be cheap, espacially using up all of the frequent flier miles!

Back
Top Bottom