Post-Conception Disaster: what you learned & will change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great policy, but one wonders if they are going to have enough personnel to do two inspections for these high risk vessels, when they barely had enough to do one.

Great policy, but one wonders if they are going to have enough personnel to do two inspections for these high risk vessels, when they barely had enough to do one.
Same as the live aboard captain that contacted me said.

Hi @Wookie

It would be interesting to see any details of the risk model, do you know if this description is available?

Using various computational methods, machine learning-enabled software, and the Coast Guard’s database of deficiency and casualty information, the Office of Vessel Compliance (CG-CVC) developed a model identifying high risk SPVs. The model evaluates numerous factors, including the compliance history, number of passengers carried, vessel type, vessel age, route, and history of vessels in related operations to identify vessels that have the greatest risk.

No, the CG is not making it public.

I have never been involved with running a boat of any size, and I know nothing about how the Coast Guard manages inspections. With that near-empty background, I can't help but compare it to educational assessment systems, with which I am pretty much an expert. There are assessment systems in place that are counterproductive, leading to inaccurate assessments. Put simply, the "big checklist" system can create significant failures, because it creates the illusion that all items are created equal, even if there is an attempt to prioritize some issues. Potentially major failures (like a poorly designed secondary escape system) can be overlooked with so many other items looking good.

I saw a corollary to this with my first dive computer. My manual was chock full of information, 80% of which I didn't need to know. It was a real struggle for a reader to dig through that mass of information to out the things that really mattered, like setting nitrox, emergency decompression, etc.

In modern educational design, curriculum planners identify the essential learnings, the good to know items, the nice to know items, and the items that really aren't important and design curriculum to focus in order of importance. Assessments are designed the same way--make sure the student's demonstration of knowledge and skill on the essential learnings that are more important than the nice to know stuff.

Also, if I owned a live-aboard, I'd consider a video surveillance system for the entire boat.

Great idea, but consider an upload to the cloud in the case of the worst case scenario. Electronics don't do well with fire or water.

Great idea, but consider an upload to the cloud in the case of the worst case scenario. Electronics don't do well with fire or water.

They make a black box for ships. Just have to increase the storage as I believe they only capture audio from the bridge.

Yeah, the price for that would run tens of thousands per month for real time monitoring.

Probably not going to happen.

Yeah, the price for that would run tens of thousands per month for real time monitoring.

Probably not going to happen.
No it wouldn't. It is only for storage. It would be reviewed only in the case of an incident. They would be routinely deleted if the owner wished.

They make a black box for ships. Just have to increase the storage as I believe they only capture audio from the bridge.
The law is to capture audio from the bridge. If you are required to do so. There are "Black Boxes" (called a Voyage Data Recorder) that will capture video as well. As long as the video is plumbed into the system that the VDR monitors.

Back
Top Bottom