Post-Conception Disaster: what you learned & will change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You clearly have more time than I do. I couldn't tell you either.

And nice that you didn't address the core of the argument, that the expectations of liveaboards is a luxury experience to most people.

And I would bet that nor can most people with cameras and lights.

The conception and CA liveaboards are definitely the opposite of luxury. Id compare to triple stacking people in tents at 10k elevation hiking and no you dont get to bring more than one dive bag onto the boat. For real.

The surge protectors in power strips are also known to cause fires with marine power systems. Cruise ships confiscate power strips, only allowing special non-surge protecting ones on board.

I feel safer with most of the proprietary batteries from larger established companies, they have a lot more liability concerns than random 18850s from Amazon third parties.

there were more power strips on the Conception than I could count when i was on it the year previous. They were everywhere.

No nefarious intent? They said screw the safety regulation of a roving watch - for years. They were lucky until they weren’t lucky. Textbook example of normalization of deviance. If the owner had no nefarious intentions, why are 34 people dead and why is the owner (maybe captain, too? Don’t remember) facing criminal charges?

I am astonished at your response and I suspect I’m not the only one.

There was no nefarious intent. Zero. I met the captain and spoke with him many times on our trip. Honest and good man. Thats truth. But the normalization of deviance thoughts are pretty much spot on. Is the captain responsible? Yes. Is the owner? Yes. Is the captain a good man? Absolutely.

What does that mean? Dont know. Thats life. I wish the captain wasnt facing 34 murder charges. He , well I cant really say more because he deserves the charges and he is guilty in my opinion and will face life in prison. That said I still think he is a good and nice man.

But the 34 people that died are also good and nice human beings. Were, apologies. They were good people.

My point was that people die everyday doing something they think is safe whether it was their own doing or at the hands of someone else and is it really going to change our behavior? You can argue how those numbers how ever you want. 200,000 + people have died this year due to coronavirus in the US if you believe the numbers and people still won't wear a mask. Four times this week I've seen people throw cigarettes' out their car window even though hundreds of homes in my area have been burned this summer due to fires and one directly due to cigarettes', I 've personally been evacuated twice this summer. So no I don't think people area going to change as it is always somebody's fault other than our own.

You are correct about humans and habits. But you are completely wrong in your hypothesis. Were NOT talking about people and their habits. People will ALWAYS do stupid things and get killed.

Were not talking about this.

We are talking about a BUSINESS. A corporation.

That killed people.

two entirely different things.

beyond the possibility of overloading a circuit with too many devices drawing too many amps, what makes surge protectors incompatible with marine power systems?

The conception and CA liveaboards are definitely the opposite of luxury. Id compare to triple stacking people in tents at 10k elevation hiking and no you dont get to bring more than one dive bag onto the boat. For real.

The US based camping at sea liveaboards seem to be more of the exception and not the rule. Most of the liveabords on the market appear to cater to a more higher end market based on price.

beyond the possibility of overloading a circuit with too many devices drawing too many amps, what makes surge protectors incompatible with marine power systems?

I'm not an electrician so I am going by what I was told, but marine circuits are wired different, instead of the wires being 120V and 0V, they instead provide 60V on both wires at the same time. While most surge protectors work by shunting the hot wire to ground, but since the marine power system doesn't have a hot wire they are still receiving power.

You sound like a specific employee at a certain dive shop I use that stated the same thing. You are wrong in your beliefs in my opinion...

I didn't call you out when you said that out loud in my presence as I was thinking you were not aware of all circumstances

First of all, I mean no offense to anyone reading this and have nothing but sympathy for those who lost a loved one. I do not mean to belittle this incident or to make it worse for you.

I do not, and never have, worked at a dive shop but obviously I frequent one and there aren't that many here in Silicon Valley so perhaps you misidentified me as an employee.

My sentiment is simply that if I had been one of the victims, I would be upset about me being used to shut down an activity that I enjoy doing. We must learn from this, hold the appropriate people accountable, and move on. The additional information to come out certainly affects how I think we should move forward but it doesn't change my sentiment about the need to do so. I am only speaking for myself and no one else. I have always been and always will be a " ******* send it " kind of guy and it's not likely that I am going to change.

I am not going to indulge you any further on this thread as I do not want to continue to even remotely disrespect those hit hardest by this tragedy. If there is something else that needs to be said, DM me.

You are correct about humans and habits. But you are completely wrong in your hypothesis. Were NOT talking about people and their habits. People will ALWAYS do stupid things and get killed.

Were not talking about this.

We are talking about a BUSINESS. A corporation.

That killed people.

two entirely different things.

I think you missed my point. The thread was started with the question what will you do differently now not what should the business do differently or who is to blame. My point was that even with good evidence and facts people are still slow to change if they will change at all.

Back
Top Bottom