Post Closed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2:
I also know your so tight you squeak when you walk. Thats why you have the bag pipes...to hide the squeak :wink:

In the beginning, God created the earth. On the second day, while he was making his countries, God discovered a small island off a continent he’d decided to christen ‘Europe’.
“I know,” thought God, “I shall make this land an area of outstanding natural beauty. I shall bless it with lochs and glens, crystal-clear waters and rivers teeming with wild salmon. I will name this country ‘Scotland’ and shall bestow upon the nation my favourite drink ‘whisky’, the water of life. I shall bequeath major reserves of gas and oil to bring its people great wealth and Aberdeen-Angus cattle so that they need never go hungry.”
When he’d finished his work, one of the angels turned to God and said,
“Hang on a minute. Why should Scotland be blessed with all these natural treasures? Aren’t we making life too easy for its people; shouldn’t they have something to test them?”
And God replied, “You haven’t seen who their neighbours are yet.”
:wink:

And Kraken - I'm VERY familiar with the Glenfiddich bottle :wink:

For the record I'm a MacDonald (MacDonald of Glencoe - those that were massacred). Our motto is (suitably) - Per mare per terras - "By sea and by land".

McNauticalbutnice :fruit:

Nautical . . . I loooooooooooooove the story !!!!
Nae guts, nae glorie . . .

the K

NauticalbutNice:
Nuh-huh.

He's Scottish!

Trust me - in my part of Scotland saying British is akin to saying English. It's just the way we are. We're Scots through and through. We don't like being called Europeans either!!! It's nothing personal we just have this real insular mindset.

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

With all due respect to everyone else but the same mindset would apply to calling a Texan a Yank. American by birth Texan by the grace of God......

NauticalbutNice:
For the record I'm a MacDonald (MacDonald of Glencoe - those that were massacred). Our motto is (suitably) - Per mare per terras - "By sea and by land".

McNauticalbutnice

Shouldn't that be MacNauticalbutnice? :)

NauticalbutNice:
In the beginning, God created the earth. On the second day, while he was making his countries, God discovered a small island off a continent he’d decided to christen ‘Europe’.
“I know,” thought God, “I shall make this land an area of outstanding natural beauty. I shall bless it with lochs and glens, crystal-clear waters and rivers teeming with wild salmon. I will name this country ‘Scotland’ and shall bestow upon the nation my favourite drink ‘whisky’, the water of life. I shall bequeath major reserves of gas and oil to bring its people great wealth and Aberdeen-Angus cattle so that they need never go hungry.”
“Hang on a minute. Why should Scotland be blessed with all these natural treasures? Aren’t we making life too easy for its people; shouldn’t they have something to test them?”

Per mare per terram - Is the correct latin

Nobby:
Per mare per terram - Is the correct latin

I hate to be off topic.....but a Scot never backs down from a challenge.

While you are right to say that terram is the correct Latin (terram being the singular in the accusitive case for the 'a' declension), terras can also be used, even though it is the accusitive plural for terra (the earth). The reason for this appears to be the fact that there was no cognitive idea of a single earth, rather a world of distinctive areas.

You can see this from Ovids retelling of the myth of Daedalus and Icarus:

‘terras licet’ inquit ‘et undas obstruat, at caelum certe patet...' - Basically "he may block the land, the sky at least is still open.". (Land being used in the plural)

So basically (!) our motto is By (the) Sea and by Land(s).

I now return to the fortress of geeky Scottish solitude :wink:

NBN reserves the right to dribble complete gibberish and to get words wrong while looking all fancy and using words like declension.

NauticalbutNice:
I hate to be off topic.....but a Scot never backs down from a challenge.

While you are right to say that terram is the correct Latin (terram being the singular in the accusitive case for the 'a' declension), terras can also be used, even though it is the accusitive plural for terra (the earth). The reason for this appears to be the fact that there was no cognitive idea of a single earth, rather a world of distinctive areas.

You can see this from Ovids retelling of the myth of Daedalus and Icarus:

‘terras licet’ inquit ‘et undas obstruat, at caelum certe patet...' - Basically "he may block the land, the sky at least is still open.". (Land being used in the plural)

So basically (!) our motto is By (the) Sea and by Land(s).

I now return to the fortress of geeky Scottish solitude :wink:

NBN reserves the right to dribble complete gibberish and to get words wrong while looking all fancy and using words like declension.
Oh McNautical I have been educated by my northern neighbour, but......When you talk too much about the phenomena, that phenomena becomes a farce and you become contaminated with the exuberance of your own verbosity....That's not latin, but it'll get a few scratching their heads!

NauticalbutNice:

Rutilans Rosa Sine Spin = ENGLAND

Back
Top Bottom