Possibly moving to Texas.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heath74

Reaction score
Hey guys my Business partner and I are thinking of moving our families and business to Texas. I would like to ask you guys where you think is a good place to look into. It needs to be about 2 hrs. or less to the coast, have good schools, housing that is not to expensive and that allow outside dogs. The wife lived in Katy for awhile and liked the area. OK guys let us know what you think.

Thanks,

I'd second Katy and I grew up in the area. The woodlands and Kingwood are nice but a little over the 2 hour limit. Expensive housing... there are cost comparison programs at many real estate websites. Check it out.

Good luck!

You have lots of choices, even with the 2 hour limit to the coast.
What you really need to consider is how much commute time your willing to live with every day. That sets the baseline for the quality of life issue. Where are you thinking of setting up shop ? North to South you have Beaumont, Houston, Freeport, Rockport, Victoria, Corpus Christi. The further South, the better the beaches. Better being relative. Schools will vary from acceptable to unacceptable with a few exceptions. Help us help you by giving us more info.

Dow for Now

Katy is OK but it is basically west Houston. I am not sure where you have to be for work but I would suggest that you move father south like maybe Victoria or Port Aransas. I live in Sweeny which is closer to Freeport and I don't have much to complain about.

If you are considering schools, I would consider Katy, Sugarland, or Pearland (the newer section). I grew up in west Houston and returned there.

Just kidding.

Kind of.

I've been here about two and a half years, and this Colorado boy is still having trouble with the humidity.

It basically depends on your business needs. West and southwest Houston are good. I lived in Coperfield for awhile and liked it. I have family in Friendswood and they love it. (Him working for NASA may have something to do with it.). Corpus, Victoria, Beaumont and the others are obviously much smaller, so they may or may not suit your business needs.

San Antonio is about 2 hours from Corpus Christi. Of course highway time depends on the weight of your foot. It offers lower humidity and access to local inland diving. They also have some good housing and schools if you get in the right part of town.

Like DowForNow said, more info can help us to give you better suggestions.

Mack

dowfornow:
You have lots of choices, even with the 2 hour limit to the coast.
What you really need to consider is how much commute time your willing to live with every day. That sets the baseline for the quality of life issue. Where are you thinking of setting up shop ? North to South you have Beaumont, Houston, Freeport, Rockport, Victoria, Corpus Christi. The further South, the better the beaches. Better being relative. Schools will vary from acceptable to unacceptable with a few exceptions. Help us help you by giving us more info.

Dow for Now

Here is some more info for you guys.

I am helping a friend grow a business in the dental technologies industry. In short we make teeth. We have clients all over the US and can live anywhere we choose. We would like to live in a small town under 10,000 but be within an hour of a bigger city for convenience reasons. We have been looking closely at the Tomball area. Thanks for the ideas keep them comming.

Tomball is a nice area, but growing fast! That would put you within easy reach of the gulf and the airport. The Cy-Fair school district should meet your educational requirements. You also have a quick out to inland trips to Austin or the DFW area. Not too far away is lake Summerville, but I don't know if anyone dives there.

Mack

Mack Diver:
Tomball is a nice area, but growing fast! That would put you within easy reach of the gulf and the airport. The Cy-Fair school district should meet your educational requirements. You also have a quick out to inland trips to Austin or the DFW area. Not too far away is lake Summerville, but I don't know if anyone dives there.

Mack

I dove there once to recover a prop, made travis at its worse seem clear by comparison. Only recomendation I can give it for diving is that if you have been bluewater and are disgusted at travis or comparable lakes, a quick dive in Sommerville will bring things back into perspective.

It is however a great place to fish, and offers some opportunities for some recreational bike riding on the parks trail system. I used to love heading down for the crappie runs. Now time and money is spread between to many hobbies and fishing usually looses out.

Back
Top Bottom