Possibly moving to Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Mark,

Let us all know if you start a diving charter. You may get a few of us "regulars" to sign up!

I just re-read your initial post and caught one thing: There is now a sales tax in place, I believe 7%. It came into effect a few years ago as a way to help close the budget gap. Also, speaking of taxes, the income tax rate "tiers" are different in PR than in the US mainland. I don't know if the same is true regarding corporate taxes.

Best,

jsl

Thanks jsl - will be looking at this more closely.

I'm thinking of doing something simple, like a Bed & Breakfast that is Diver Friendly, as a nice alternative to a hotel stay. Save money, more dives!
For me, it would simply be a front company to become a non-voting US citizen.

Or, I'll do something else business-wise, but still push the diving industry there. It needs a kick, good publicity, local guides.

Well the economy sucks everywhere in the US anyway. This is a tough one. If tourism isn't doing that great, do I really want to move there? Although, if they really trying to build their tourism industry, being there from the beginning could have it's advantages. And having a new shore based opp to partner with wouldn't suck either. :wink:

Either way I have to pass PR on my way to the virgins. And it's close enough to visit or easily move there from STX or STT, which still top my list.

I only saw beaches, islands and snorkeling off the North East (like around Fajardo) and it was quite beautiful.

There's a major dock system at Fajardo, don't know how much it is to rent a spot for your boat. There is drinkable running water and electricity, cement walkways.
Here's some info on the chartered sailboat trip I did in 2006, which was absolutely wonderful.
They are a couple from Maine that moved to PR.

Puerto Del Rey Marina, Fajardo 00740, Puerto Rico
Google Map of Location

Ingrid and her Captain Bill
Erin Go Bragh Sailing & Snorkeling Charters
Puerto Del Rey Marina, Fajardo
787-860-4401
egbc@coqui.net
Sailing and Snorkeling in Puerto Rico Aboard Erin Go Bragh Charters

When I next go to PR (planned for March 2012) I plan on chartering with them again, except I'll want to do non-deep scuba dives, as shore dives from the tiny islands close by, if they're ok with that. If not, snorkel. Bill & Ingrid are a wonderful couple.

Grunzster I'm sure they'll give you an accurate assessment of conditions for liveaboard live there. Also, you're just 1-2 days away from the US and British Virgin Islands.

jlevine, I agree with you on the language. My point is that even when you run across someone who doesn't speak any english, there's usually someone nearby who does.

Unemployment has always been high by US stadards. As I recall (and I'm no expert) its usually in the 15% to 20% range, maybe into mid 20s. I Googled it and right now it looks to be running at 15.1%, which actually seems pretty good for PR. They tend to have a higher level of structural unemployment anyway. The industrial base is not strong since the US discontinued invesment tax credit treatmet in Puerto Rico 20 or so years ago. Larger companies have left the island. Some pharmaceuticals have remained. Tourism is a major industry, but I think jlevines point is they could do a better job promoting the island. I would agree. If Mark and grunzster get something going, count me in as a customer!

Correction. I did anoher look at unemployment. Between 2001 and 2011 it ran between 9.5% and 17.5%. So the current 15.1% is on the high side.

Mark, forget Puerto Del Rey! I'm done with overpriced parking spots!

I do see a big potential minus, though. Looking at the sat images, PR doesn't seem to be too anchor friendly. I scanned pretty far in both directions from that marina, and only saw 1 or 2 spots with anchored boats. By comparison, STT had at least double or more, and it's a small island. I've talked to a few people who've confirmed that people run charters from anchor and moorings in the virgins, running passengers out in the dink. Although with my shallow draft, I'm thinking of installing a bow ladder, and pulling up just off the beach to pick up passengers, as long as it's a sandy bottom.

Although, I guess relying just on google isn't too smart. I didn't see any anchored boats in STX either, and I know there's a few anchorages there.

I agree on PR getting a subforum. Or perhaps PR/USVI. Also, I owe Mark and grunzster an apology. I had assumed both of you were from the US and missed that grunzster did not specify a specific location in his profile and that Mark is from Canada.

Also, another thing to keep in mind...US mainland minimum wage laws do not apply in PR. In a way it's an unfortunate situation. Wages are lower, but the costs of many good are either the same or higher because they are all imported (as with Hawaii, Alaska, or Guam).

There are many, many, more positives about PR. I am counting the days till my December trip. :)

Oops! Guess I should have been a little more detailed in my OP.

From NJ, currently planning my escape from Miami. USCG 50 Ton Master Inland/OUPV, with a US documented vessel, with coastwise endorsement. Hence US territories being my first choices, if for no other reason than logistics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom