Possibly Moving to Denver/Colorado Springs: Need Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

junior2725

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I currently live in Sarasota, FL. We may be possibly moving to Denver or Colorado spings in the next six months or so. I was wondering what kind of diving there is around there. I see some people mention Blue Hole, so I tried to look it up. I think the site said it was about a 7 hour drive from Denver. Is there nothing closer to dive? I love diving and want to be able to continue diving year round, but you can only go on so many vacations. I'm sure if I moved to the area I would be investing in a dry suit. I guess my question is if there are any local spots to dive? Are you only able to dive them in the summer, or can you dive in the winter with a dry suit? Thanks for any advice you guys are able to give.

Michelle

Blue Hole is 64˚ year round. Feels cold in the summer, compared to the 90˚+ temperatures that are reached during the day, but in the winter it feels like a hot tub! It is 5 hours from Colorado Springs. You can dive there all year. You can ice dive in Colorado lakes as well!

Michelle, there is good news and bad news.

The bad news is that Colorado is not known as a huge hotbed of local diving. There are high mountain lakes, such as Emerald Lake near Leadville. They are clear and cold, but great for training. Unfortunately there is not much in them....sandy bottoms, few fish, and not much to look at. You can become skilled at figuring out high altitude repetitive diving schedules and adjusted RNTs for multiple dives, take Rescue (and similar) classes, and generally have fun with your friends, but there are a lot of divers in Colorado who frequently head to Cozumel... :wink:

A drysuit would be an excellent idea, unless you like to freeze pre- and especially post- dive. Did I mention that it can get pretty cold real fast above 8000 feet ASL (above sea level)? Even in the summer?

On a more optimistic note, there is supposed to be a small mining train at the bottom of Yankee Doodle Lake; perhaps you will be the one that finds it. :)

The good news is that Colorado features world-class skiing among some of the most beautiful high country anywhere on the planet. If you're moving from Florida, you're in for a treat! My advice would be to skip the ice diving and spend your winters on the slopes instead. Skiing or boarding, either way, the scenery and the experience are awesome!

Best with your new life in Colorado,

Doc

Great comments, as usual, Doc!

Yes, if you put the pedal to the medal, Blue Hole may only be 4 1/2 hours from Colorado Springs!

Cozumel is only a 3 1/2 hour flight, so we consider Coz, "local diving!"

A diver in Colorado finds herself practicing skills and pursuing education, in order to stay active diving. We are all constantly looking for high mountain lakes that are perfect for diving. Problem is, the most beautiful, perfectly clear lakes are either very high altitude (11,000 feet and higher) or very remote. Which means hauling tanks and gear into the backcountry. And high risk if anything were to go wrong.

I actually have a plan for next summer to pack gear in to some remote lakes on pack horses. I've also ben mapping out clear lakes at reasonable elevations that can be accessed by jeep. Somehow, we Rocky Mountain Oyster Divers make it work!

Thanks for all of the great comments. I figured there wouldn't be that much local diving, but as long as I can keep my skills up that will be good. If we do move to area, then I'm sure you'll find me on here looking for dive buddies. Unfortunately, my boyfried can't dive because of a previous spontanious collapsed lung. I saw some pics of someone on an ice dive and it looked like something I would be interested in trying. On the pics the ice formations were cool. I've been skiing a couple of times when I have visited my sis in Olympia WA. It was fun but scary also. I'm sure with practice I would get better. I'll know a little more in the next month or so.

Michelle

If you want to combine skiing and diving, there is the homestead crater, about an 8 hour drive from Denver in Midway Utah, next door to Park City. Its hot tub diving, water runs about 92 degrees at the surface, 96 at the platforms

Michelle, there is good news and bad news.

On a more optimistic note, there is supposed to be a small mining train at the bottom of Yankee Doodle Lake; perhaps you will be the one that finds it. :)

I did not know that about Yankee Doodle Lake.

RMOs lets plan a trip for next summer!

Dan

I lived in Aurora, Colorado for 12 years and got certified in the Aurora Reservoir. There are a few reservoirs around Denver metro area that you can dive in and like the other folks said you can go to the Blue Hole which is in Santa Rosa, New Mexico to keep your skills up.

A few of the dive shops I know will let you tag along when they go down to certify students in the Blue Hole... yet another way to gain experience and skills.

But like the consensus on here... the best diving is a short plane ride away. Good luck in your move. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom