Possible Trip to Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. Great story, Nick! I'll file away Sam McCoy's for next time. I'll check with you next time I'm in Houston and need a cab.

Saddly Sam McCoys is not around anymore Sam passed away a few years back. Now just good memories are all thats left. Call me next time your in Houston! lol

Hi,

There are 3 supermarket chains on Grand Cayman. Foster's, Kirk and Hurley's. Here are links to their sale circulars.
Hurley's
Foster's Food Fair - Store Specials
Kirk Supermarket and Pharmacy | Weekly Saver

Foster's and Kirk have a few locations around the island and Hurley's is in Grand Harbor on the way out of town heading toward the Eastern Districts. When looking at grocery prices, be aware they are in Cayman Dollars with a fixed exchange rate of 1.25 us = 1 cid.

Turtle Nest Inn is nice, but a bit of a drive from town. I've never been to London House. Another option for relatively cheap accommodations (especially if you're traveling with another couple) is to rent a time share out at Morritt's. You can get rent them from owners for around $750 for a week in a 1 br, 1 ba with a full kitchen and $1050 for a 2 br with a full kitchen and 2 or 3 bathrooms. There is a $10/night time share tax and you have to pay your actual electricity, but it's a good option if you want to be on the quiet end of the island. By way of disclosure, we own a timeshare there. Here's a link to the rental-sale part of the unofficial forum Morritts Tortuga and Grand Resorts Forum :: View Forum - Rentals and Resales

Have fun!!!

Just four more days to goooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

I booked a 3-boat with Cayman Turtle Divers.

Yes, Turtle Nest Inn is out of town, that's why we chose it. Closer to the botanical gardens, where I plan to go more than once.

Turtle Nest looks like a deal in May, expecially with the car included. I figure I need to drive anyway and honestly it seems situated kind of in the middle of the island, so if we aren't tied to a particular dive operation, maybe it's a good idea? How long would you spend in the car to get from there to Divetech in the north, for example? I don't want to spend a huge amount of time in the car and there is certainly financial incentive to book packages at a single place, but the "tapas" approach, sampling different providers and different sites could be attractive too.

From what I was told, depending on "traffic", from Turtle Nest Inn to where Divetech is, between 30 and 45 minutes.

To me, the advantage of the car means I can park early midway or higher up 7MB, far away from where the cruise boats drop off the tourists.

Also go to Rum Point, where only locals and tourists with cars will go to easily.

For guys like us, t-mac, I'd say it's either Turtle Nest Inn + car, or, go to Cayman Brac with no car where everything is walking distance, and extremely quiet.

I found Turtle Nest Inn to be a nice compromise. Even if you would stay somewhere directly on 7MB, you'd still want to visit the island...

t-mac if you would like more info on Turtle Nest Inn feel free to PM me I own a condo there.PM me and I can give you my number if you want...I live in New York.

John

Thanks, John. This is what I'm leaning towards at the moment. Will be in touch if it tips that way fully. Tom

From what I was told, depending on "traffic", from Turtle Nest Inn to where Divetech is, between 30 and 45 minutes.

To me, the advantage of the car means I can park early midway or higher up 7MB, far away from where the cruise boats drop off the tourists.

Also go to Rum Point, where only locals and tourists with cars will go to easily.

For guys like us, t-mac, I'd say it's either Turtle Nest Inn + car, or, go to Cayman Brac with no car where everything is walking distance, and extremely quiet.

I found Turtle Nest Inn to be a nice compromise. Even if you would stay somewhere directly on 7MB, you'd still want to visit the island...

Rum Point absolutely swarms with cruise ship passengers who come in on bus tours, so only go there early or late in the day or when there are no ships in port.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom