possible Swimmers ear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcf57:
Do I maybe need to do something else to help the situation? Any suggestions?

If all you feel is the stuffiness and not a prolonged soreness in or outside of the ear you are probably OK. Keep in mind that I am not a doctor.

With respect to ear care here is the results of my research. These steps have kept me and my wife trouble free through of a combined 500+ dives.

Pete

ScubaGir1:
There are these waxy-like ear plugs that will completely seal your ear and not allow ANY water in. BUT you have to make sure that its ok to go down in the water b/c of pressure. Go to the doctor and ask what you need to do, or can do.
Be very careful: any competent dive physician will tell you to never place something in your ears that would completely seal them, due to the pressure changes you undergo while descending/ascending.

Having said that, I have seen earplugs on the market which claim to allow your ears to adjust to the pressure while diving -- but I have no personal experience with them. (Given the number of people on this board, though, I'm sure there are a few who use them...) :)

MacGyverDiver:
Be very careful: any competent dive physician will tell you to never place something in your ears that would completely seal them, due to the pressure changes you undergo while descending/ascending.

Having said that, I have seen earplugs on the market which claim to allow your ears to adjust to the pressure while diving -- but I have no personal experience with them. (Given the number of people on this board, though, I'm sure there are a few who use them...) :)
The wax ear plugs are to make sure no water gets in, but from what I was told, swimming was fine. I wouldn't recommend diving with them. Sorry if I made my previous comment confusing :loopy:

Well, its day two since my last class (Wednesday nights) and my right ear seems back to normal so I haven't panicked and gone to the doctor yet, but my left doesn't appear 100% normal. It isn't in any pain, but it just doesn't feel right if you know what I mean. It seems better so that is promising I guess.

After reading some other posts here, people are suggesting to make a solution to put in my ear that is "50% rubbing alcohol and 50% common white vinegar". Is this a common thing to use and safe? I have seen it mentioned several times so I'm hoping so.

If so, should I maybe use it before AND after each class or anytime I dive?

sigourneya:
go to the doctor-you don't want it to get worse. I found as a swimmer and diver that Swimmer Ear drops don't really work and it's expensive. Just use 50/50 % of vinegar and rubbing alcohol which is basically the same thing after each dive.

As I am not a Doctor, nor do I represent one, I am a long time swimmer and had more ear infections than I can count. and the above treatment is NOT RECOMMENDED as my ENT informed me. The vinegar is good, the alcohol is bad, since it will also disolve the wax in your ear and lead to more infections and irritation. I was told to use, and have for better than 10 years now a mixture of 50% Distilled white vinegar and water. preferably Sterile saline (aka Normal Saline).

ScubaGir1:
The wax ear plugs are to make sure no water gets in, but from what I was told, swimming was fine. I wouldn't recommend diving with them. Sorry if I made my previous comment confusing :loopy:

They are fine for swimming, but definitely do not use them for diving.

meesier42:
As I am not a Doctor, nor do I represent one, I am a long time swimmer and had more ear infections than I can count. and the above treatment is NOT RECOMMENDED as my ENT informed me. The vinegar is good, the alcohol is bad, since it will also disolve the wax in your ear and lead to more infections and irritation. I was told to use, and have for better than 10 years now a mixture of 50% Distilled white vinegar and water. preferably Sterile saline (aka Normal Saline).

Please have your ENT speak with DAN, the US Navy my physician and countless other professionals regarding alcohol in in swimmers ear preventative solutions. I consider his opinion to be way out of the norm.

To the OP: Having an ear simply feel a little odd even nearly a week after your first ear clearing sessions is not uncommon. Odds are you were a little late or over zealous in your clearing. As long as things feel the same or better as opposed to getting worse I'd site tight but I'm just a diver.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom