Possible Fresh Water Penetration In Apeks First Stage, Should I Service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The DIN caps that screw on seal exactly the same way as a tank does, using the o-ring on the regulator. As long as the cap is in place, there's no risk soaking the reg unpressurized.
That has been a long running issue. IIRC someone did a test and only the Apeks style "ball" cap stood up to the soaking. You may also accidentally press the purge button. Even swirling the reg in the tank can open the 2nd stage valve (mine is tuned a bit over 1" cracking pressure) so I don't risk it.

Rinse tanks are nowhere "as bad as salt water." Not by a long shot. Some are fairly nasty, to be sure. But the salinity in the dirtiest rinse tank is still many times lower than that of salt water, and as such will dilute salt. This is far better than simply leaving salt water to dry on the reg.
You should see our rinse tanks here :).

Back
Top Bottom