Possible effects of pressure on my heart

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That you are highly athletic bodes well for a medical release. Exertion levels in rugby and swimming are typically far higher than in scuba (assuming you aren't hiking 100lb gear to a remote locale). The standard echo or TEE if performed by a cardiologist should resolve your concerns. Truthfully, it's good to have the heart checked as part of your annual physical anyway. In my case, that includes an echo.

vladimir:
Reading TS&M's posts will expand your vocabulary after a while

What vocabulary...I grew up in the South y'all, dang blame it...

Schelp = carrying gear. I know this because I am my lovely brides dive sherpa!

The advice to see a cardiologist or other MD with diving knowledge is the best way to answer your question. I'm not a doctor, I only play one in my TV show and here on SB. Besides, my heart is of stone and incompressible.

I was diagnosed with a heart murmur/leaky valve when I was 16 and have been diving for about 4 years (I am now 23). When I signed up for OW, one of the first questions they asked me was if I had any heart or lung problems and I had to be checked out before they would allow me to proceed with even the bookwork.
My cardiologist ran an EKG, Echocardiogram, and hooked me up to a haltermometer for a couple days to be see if it had gotton any worse since I was diagnosed with it and determine how it would affect me me I tried to dive. Anyways, long story short- I was cleared to go. Of course, they said if I ever have any pains while diving to abort the dive, but that has never been a problem for me during a dive. If anything, I'm more relaxed when diving than doing anything else so I've convinced myself it's good for my heart. :eek:)
Just be sure to have a cardiologist check you out though to make sure you're good to go before you do it. Your life is a valuable thing to gamble with and you'd rather be safe than sorry. Good luck!

What's Yiddish for haulin' ass...:)

I believe I prefer Windsor English to either NYC Yiddish or Southern USA slang.
Then hopefully you can find somebody to teach it to you.:D

I'm a cardiologist and agree with everything said above. A "murmur" can be from a whole multitude of things ranging from the completely benign to extremely serious. You need to see a cardiologist and probably get an echocardiogram to better evaluate the murmur given your young age and active lifestyle. From a diving perspective, your "fitness to dive" depends on the cause of the murmur. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions or with your echo results if I can be of any help.

Doug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom