Poseidon Regulator??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Atomic is a great reg. I've been using one for 8 years and I love it. Of all the regs I've used it is second to none. The only reg I like as well is the Apeks ATX200.

whene I dive oc I uesd one and love it I have to 270 in 38deg water and it work find

jasonX5:
If I'm not diving deep should I reconsider and get something else? Most of my dives will be in Cozumel 7-8 times a year and a few lake dives normally at a depth of 80-90 feet max. I found the poseidon reg online for $479 on one site and $800 on another online site. That seems quite a price difference for the same thing the $800 has the manufacturers warranty. Leisurepro has the cheaper price and said they offer an in-house warranty if they can't fix it they send it to the Poseidon on their dime. My LDS does not carry poseidon so that's not an option. I'm also looking at the Atomic M1 is this a decent reg?

Regs is one of the things I wouldn't have a problem buying at LP, especially if the manufacturer doesn't have a lifetime parts supply like SP (which is overrated anyways).
I don't think there is too much in a reg that would break and be a warranty case, after the first few dives. ANd you need service elsewhere anyways, so that's not a reason either.
I am sure some people will strongly disagree, just my personal opinion. :wink:
There are some shops that will service mailed in Poseidons at a fair price, NESS (northeastscubasupply) being one of them.

Btw, LP is an authorized Mares dealer, and has some GREAT prices on Mares.
With the diving you are describing, you may be perfectly served for a quarter of the cost of a Poseidon with a MR12 Proton at 175.-
Even R2 Axis at 99.- is a very fine yet simple reg.!

Don't believe folks telling you "don't be cheap on life support equipment".
Not always is the most expensive also the best, or cheap bad. I would NEVER buy a no-name reg. But these Mares regs. are proven for decades (just like the basic designs of most all brands), used in schools around the world (one reason why they are so cheap), and actually SAFER than many "high performance" reg because they are much simpler!
Everything that isn't there can't fail, and as simpler it is as lower the chance the service tech messes it up.

And Mares has the big advantage to be abundant at destinations like Cozumel, should it ever fail.

Don't know why this became a Mares sales pitch. I use Poseidons for years. But I did own Mares and know many people that do use and abuse them, so I guess I am just positively biased for some reason. :wink:

Just my two pennies
d-s-f

I love poseidons! I own 6 of them, but i recently bought an Apeks ATX200 and some dive rite rg2200- the reason? The gentleman that serviced all my poseidon regs retired. He sold his dive shop and took all his poseidon gear with him. The new owner has to send them away and charges me 95 per reg for service. You can't easily find longer hoses or any accessories. Are the new regs better? - yes and no. They are both great breathers, even at depth and they allow some tweaking to their resistance. They don't feel as sturdy as poseidons do, but their up there. Service is a hell of alot cheaper, and you can get hoses at any dive shop. i won't be getting rid of my poseidons, i'll use some as stages, but it's not worth the extra money. Of course this is only my opinion.

Buy a Poseidon, get a rebuild kit, and take it with you. Have Javier rebuild it every once and a while in Cozumel. He can do it, just doesn't have the parts. Forget the warranty stuff, they don't break. The Cyclon is almost indestructible, and has made me a better diver. ( I don't use any air ).

adios don O

I have a set of Cyklon 5000 (2003), and besides being able to support the local ice hockey team with hockey pucks if they run out, I can also use them to: demolish cars, tear down buildings, defend myself against mad dogs, go moose hunting with them. That's in addition to use them as regulators under water, which they are very suited for. Especially in very cold waters like here in the winter. Service and parts prices really, really, really suck. But then you rarely need any of that.

The rest of the Poseidon range? I wouldn't buy it with my own money for any reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom