Poseidon Regs -- Need Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYCDVR:
Ok I'll bite Why aren't poseidan regs DIR?
The design is complicated, the hoses have extra parts built in and are stupid expensive ($100 for a 7' hose!!!), they are potentially impossible to switch second stages underwater, you can't open the second stages underwater in order to clear any potential clogs, and servicing is complex. Some people claim that because they are an 'upstream' design, they have the potential to fail in the "closed" position in the event of a first stage failure, but apparently this is incorrect.

These might not be big deals to you, and that's OK, but they're not the *best* regulator for technical diving.

jonnythan:
The design is complicated, the hoses have extra parts built in and are stupid expensive ($100 for a 7' hose!!!), they are potentially impossible to switch second stages underwater, you can't open the second stages underwater in order to clear any potential clogs, and servicing is complex. Some people claim that because they are an 'upstream' design, they have the potential to fail in the "closed" position in the event of a first stage failure, but apparently this is incorrect.

These might not be big deals to you, and that's OK, but they're not the *best* regulator for technical diving.

Is this for real?... do people still believe this kind of thing?

<QUOTE>Originally Posted by jonnythan

These might not be big deals to you, and that's OK, but they're not the *best* regulator for technical diving.</QUOTE>

I actually think this is not correct.. For the extreme, it can be dismantled without any tools whatsoever. The first stage is made as simple as possible, with an absolute minimum number of ports, to reduce the chance of regulator failure. The second stage again, is simplified to the extreme, with no levers, no switches or anything else that can go wrong.

But hey - Whatever people feel comfortable with.
Some people don't like the servo assisted regulators, because of the way they breathe - They will give you as much air as you want, which means you need to keep a close eye on your sac rate. A matter of taste, if you ask me.

When it comes to DIR or not DIR, I'm not going to get involved in that discussion. Personally, I use Poseidon Extremes for my back gas, and Apex ATX40 for my stages. That way, I can instantly feel (even with a blacked out mask) which regs are hyperoxic and which regs are normoxic. (Or as it may be, which is the deco reg, and which is the bottom gas.)

Once I get trimix qualified, I'm planning to use the Jetstream for the travel gas - again, to have three distinct regulator shapes, for each stage of the dive.

Kind regards,

Espen

My-way:
Is this for real?... do people still believe this kind of thing?
What part is incorrect?

The hoses ARE expensive, you CAN'T take the second stages apart underwater, and servicing IS complicated.

espenskogen:
I actually think this is not correct.. For the extreme
I know next to nothing about the Xstream except that Bob3 really really likes the 1st stage design. The poster asked about the Jetstream.

yah why are poseidons not DIR? they are pretty much proven to be the best reg for tech diving if you want to spend the money

D1V3R:
they are pretty much proven to be the best reg for tech diving if you want to spend the money

i agree, they are one of the best damn regs in my opinion, and i have apeks, atomics etc. my personal fav is the xtreme and its not only for tech.

yah, i have an odin
and i've had it to 240 on air and i was workin' pretty damn hard (touch dive), and it delivered air beautifully
i dont know if they still do this, but in my old deep diving manuals they did gas delivery comparison test on different regs, and even back then the poseidon "thor" was the best reg by far.

FFMDiver:
PM Bob3 on this board,
I beleive he's in Florida...
I'm in CA right now, over-wintering & tending the banana & loquat plantations. :wink:

It's going to be a hard argument trying to tell someone that's used Poseidons that long that they're not good for ***, or " *** approved". :11:
He's probably addicted to the critters by now, & it wouldn't surprise me to hear that he sleeps with them under his pillow. :D

Xtremes can have the covers removed w/o tools, & the 2nd stages can be swapped out if need be, they don't take kindly to having mud in their innards though.
I'm still hooked on my 300s back from the early '70s; they were the only single hose reg that had antifreeze capabilities for the 1st stage. I took a lot of guff for using a double hose that long but hey, they never froze either.

Bob3:
I'm in CA right now, over-wintering & tending the banana & loquat plantations. :wink:

It's going to be a hard argument trying to tell someone that's used Poseidons that long that they're not good for ***, or " *** approved". :11:
He's probably addicted to the critters by now, & it wouldn't surprise me to hear that he sleeps with them under his pillow. :D

Xtremes can have the covers removed w/o tools, & the 2nd stages can be swapped out if need be, they don't take kindly to having mud in their innards though.
I'm still hooked on my 300s back from the early '70s; they were the only single hose reg that had antifreeze capabilities for the 1st stage. I took a lot of guff for using a double hose that long but hey, they never froze either.

Started using in the same time frame, really simple design. Cost would be the only issue I could think of as a down side, but perhaps the fact that they are so different (i.e. having to learn two different types of equipment).

I've had a lot of soft mud in them, without any issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom