Poseidon Regs and DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Odin/Jetstream's are a pain to work on both the first and second stage, and they can't be taken apart underwater, and use a special hose, and they freeflow when the gas is low....so from a DIR standpoint they have several things against them....however when you have one that is tuned properly nothing even comes close in the breathing department.....they remind me of a V12 XKE Jag, hard as hell to tune, but when it lines up , man -o- man.....sweet.....Dive Rite is coming out with a first stage which I think is a Buchat and a Jetstream second primarily for sidemount so they at least believe they have merit.

Some Poseidon 2nd stages have an upstream valve versus a downstream valve. In case of 1st stage failure when the IP goes too high, an upstream valve fails closed, rather than venting gas like a downstream valve will.

An upstream valve means one of two things:

1) The LP hose will go boom if the 1st fails in such a way that it delivers too high an intermediate pressure to the 2nd stage. Or
2) You have to put an over pressure valve in the LP hose to vent in case of IP overpressure (same reason why dedicated argon regs need an OPV).

You don't have to be DIR to realize that scenario 1 isn't a good idea, and scenario 2 is adding more equipment (an OPV) to solve a problem that can be eliminated completely with a choice of different equipment, making an OPV on the regulator hose non-DIR.

Note that it isn't the equipment (Poseidon) that's non-DIR, it's the implementation.

Roak

Ps. Hadn't heard about dumping air at 200psi, that's a new one...

Lots of good points here. Thanks guys.

Dive Rite is coming out with a first stage which I think is a Buchat and a Jetstream second primarily for sidemount so they at least believe they have merit.

The new DR reg is a Poseidon Xtream first stage combined with a Poseidon Jetstream second stage - of course, in DR's black and red colorway and rebranded. I believe that they are aiming it at sidemount divers to go with their fairly new Nomad sidemount bc.

The new DR reg is a Poseidon Xtream first stage combined with a Poseidon Jetstream second stage - of course, in DR's black and red colorway and rebranded. I believe that they are aiming it at sidemount divers to go with their fairly new Nomad sidemount bc.

I was examining these regs at Dema, and found it quite interesting that the second stage had a small metal "Dive Rite" button badge, but the exhaust cover still said Poseidon jetstream.

Poseidon regs have the following issues (or at least they used to since I don't know anyone that uses them anymore):

1) High IP, which makes them more prone to freeflow.
2) They deliver way too high a volume of gas. This is only necessary when deep air diving so is inapplicable to DIR diving. This means that in a failure, you lose a lot more gas before you can shut down the reg.
3) Aren't easily reparable underwater. Clearing an apex or SP second is a cakewalk. (You have to remove the little retaining screws on the SP seconds now though. Just throw them away.)
4) Downstream second stages which can fail closed as discussed above.
5) Overly finiky which makes them less reliable than other choices.
6) Oversized hoses which is a logistical nightmare and completely unnecessary.

A baker's dozen of the problems would probably be easy, but anwering this was only worth a 50% effort. <G>

We used to use the first stages since they were good. But parts dificulty and other issues plus the fact that the Apex firsts are better now have made this option unnecessary.

They don't just free-flow and you get a burp of air when a jet gets to 200psi. You can tell that something is different, and breathing is ridicuiously easy. If your @ 200psi you have bigger problems in my book. I tried it on a extra bottle doing side mount and about sucked the tank dry just for kicks

They don't just free-flow and you get a burp of air when a jet gets to 200psi. You can tell that something is different, and breathing is ridicuiously easy. If your @ 200psi you have bigger problems in my book. I tried it on a extra bottle doing side mount and about sucked the tank dry just for kicks

Anybody want to translate the first two sentences into something that resembles a point?

Umm...if I'm at 200psi, I don't want to add ANOTHER problem...

There are some real issues with these regs and DIR, and that there are better options on the market.

Anybody want to translate the first two sentences into something that resembles a point?

Just guessing.

"Not only do they free flow when you encounter lower pressures; at 200 PSI gas deilvery with the Jetstream becomes even greater. They breathe ridiculously easy and the difference is awesome." :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom