Poseidon O2 reg with O2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheekymonkey

I'm a Goofy Monkey
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I have a Poseidon Xtreme Deco reg for my O2 bottle, fully O2 clean. My understanding is that turning on the tank valve slowly with high or pure O2 concentrations can help take heat out of the equation with the fire triangle.

My question / possible problem being, Poseidon regs, hiss quite vehemently until the pressure is full, and it creates a seal. So turning on the O2 valve with the Poseidon reg will allow a small freeflow of O2 if done very slowly, so is it safer to turnit slowly and let the O2 freeflow, or is it safer to turn it on more quickly in this situation.

I've never seen O2 combustion in the regulator,of the few I have seen they have always been in the valve.

so just stick with the standard, slow cracking, and let the O2 flow in the reg until you are to a high enough pressure to stop it, thats what I have been doing as per my reading, but I was just nervous enough to ask since the Poseidon regs seem to be the only ones with that problem.

Ty Karstdvr

Jam your thumb in the mouthpiece and the pilot valve will close faster.

Lol..

Ah I love you Jimmer, I will try that tonight

sticking you finger in a Posiedon reg will not close the valve faster. They are specifically designed to let some gas pass through. Stick with turning it on slowly. What you are avoiding is adiabatic compression, which does generate heat. You will lose a little O2, but it is the safest way to go.

I've actually had a Poseidon tech tell me to either plug the mouthpiece with your thumb or put it in your mouth, and that will help a little pressure in the second stage housing build up instead of going out the mouthpiece opening, and will lift the diaphragm off the servo and close it quicker. I've owned Poseidons and when you're talking about an ultra slow opening, it does work. But I do agree with you on one point, it's only a small amount of O2 you'll lose either way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom