Poseidon Cyklon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lovells19

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently purchased a 2nd hand Poseidon Cyklon 300 which i understand is out of production.

Anyone out there with any experience with this reg?

Im in South East Asia, and now the monsson season is setting in and i probaly won't have a chance to test it out till next year.

Hi there,

The Cyclon 300 2nd stage is the same as any Cyclon, so spares and set up are not a problem.

The 1st stage usually has a DIN fitting on the end as opposed to the later side inlet and comes with a screw-on DIN to A clamp/yoke fitting.
Very early ones are threaded 1/8" gas thread (identifiable by having plastic gasket washers between the reg and the screw-in fittings, later ones are threaded 3/8"UNF(with normal O-ring seals on the fittings).If its a 1/8" gas thread you might have problems finding hoses (I've not got a contact for them...)

They are all diaphragm 1st stages but NOT balanced which leads to the IP being low on a full tank and higher (upto 1 and half bar higer) as the tank contents drops to 20 bar.....The 2nd stage orifice is set up on 20 bar so as to avoid free flow and then rechecked on a full tank.

You can still get spares, I still have a complete spares kit and service them, so don't let the age of these regs put you off. provided they are in good condition they should perform well.

Best of luck

Brian C

brian cooper once bubbled...
The Cyclon 300 2nd stage is the same as any Cyclon,

Well, .....
The old Cyklons had a metal body. The newer ones are plastic. They have re-introduced the metal body and charge a premium price for it (a good reason to keep your old one).

I live in the US. My old first stage has metric fittings. The newer ones (sold here) have english threads. I had to get metric to english adapters to screw my hoses into it. It was worth the trouble, though. It's a nice regulator.

The Poseidon website (http://www.poseidon.se/) says that the their 1958 Cyklon 300 was the FIRST real single hose regulator. That regulator was introduced in 1958 and it STILL compares favorably to most new regulators sold today. Poseidon did it right the first time.

A service manual is available at:
http://www.divesite.net/cyklon_300.htm

(and favorite) reg, hence my handle...

The Cyklon 300 has been well-described by the previous posters.

I liked its distinctive look and breathing characteristics. Also, the side exhaust is a nice feature as it reduces/eliminates bubble intereference.

On the downside, rebuilds and hoses were expensive and finding a technician that knew their specifics was a key for good service.

I don't own it any longer, but I still liked it a lot.

hmm well i got the whole set with a dacor console at quite a good price.

if its a good reg i don't really mind payin abit more for the servicing and rebuilding.

i've also heard that poseidon are famous for their hardy regs.

thanks for the info!
lookin forward to enjoy my reg :)

I use cyklon second stages on my main regs. I have two metal bodies, one with a short hose the other with a slightly longer then normal hose.

The cyklons come in two versions, metric and american. Be carful which one you have, if you try to screw an american hose into the metric first or the metric hose into an american first, you will stip out the soft brass body of the first stage and wind up with a paper weight.

Cyklon second stages are easy to rebuild and tune and deliver top performance at any depth. All of the parts needed for a rebuild are available from Marvel and cost about $18 for everything in the second stage.
I don't like the poseidon first stages as they are way to picky about adjustments, cost a fortune to overhaul, are a pain to find parts for, and aren't any better than more common and less costly first stage diaphragms.

my advice, loose the first stage and use a good quality diphragm or BP first stage with the cyklon second.

Someone with a good service manual will be able to fill you in as to which model you have from the serial numbers.
If you have Dacor stuff hanging on it take a look at the hose ends by the 1st stage, the adaptors are about 3/4" long & should be stamped "G1/8 - 3/8" on them.

Parts, hoses, etc are still being made for all Cyklons & are readily available. The 2nd stage kit retails for $9. It has a couple o-rings, a little plastic plate & a zip tie. About 5 pieces total if I recall correctly.

... and wind up with a paper weight.
Folks cranking 3/8" hoses into the G1/8 threads was somewhat common, the shop down the road here has a tap for dressing out the threads. Luckily there's *usually* enough meat left over unless a guy was really persistant about stripping it out.:wink:

nyresq once bubbled...

my advice, loose the first stage and use a good quality diphragm or BP first stage with the cyklon second. [/B]

any good recommendation for a good 1st stage?

I was told that poseidons are not very flexible when it comes to mix and match as their pressure setting is different from others

Bob3 once bubbled...
Someone with a good service manual will be able to fill you in as to which model you have from the serial numbers.
If you have Dacor stuff hanging on it take a look at the hose ends by the 1st stage, the adaptors are about 3/4" long & should be stamped "G1/8 - 3/8" on them.

Parts, hoses, etc are still being made for all Cyklons & are readily available. The 2nd stage kit retails for $9. It has a couple o-rings, a little plastic plate & a zip tie. About 5 pieces total if I recall correctly.

Folks cranking 3/8" hoses into the G1/8 threads was somewhat common, the shop down the road here has a tap for dressing out the threads. Luckily there's *usually* enough meat left over unless a guy was really persistant about stripping it out.:wink:

I have found a good service center, but according to them, the poseidon parts are controlled by the main distributor here in singapore. a Overhaul kit for my 2nd stage will cost me a whoping SGD$60 thats around USD$30 :(

Evil Businessmen....

I think shipping to the other side of the world might get expensive!!!

as for first stages and pressures, Poseidon specs set the IP on cyklons at 170 to 180 psi. this is higher then just about every other reg out there. Its fine if your only using cyklon second stages, but if you have a different brand second stage it will need to be tuned to 180 psi (some may not be able to work with that much) otherwise your octo will freeflow.
I have my first stages set at 150 psi and my cyklons breathe great at any depth. I don't feel any difference when the IP is set to 175 psi so I leave it turned down to normal levels.

as for a good first stage, a good balanced piston or balanced diaphragm works well.
I use oceanic balanced diaphragms on all my regs, the older dx1 or dx2 I think is the model. (the ones that were copies of the poseidon first stages) These regs are easy to service, parts are available and hold their settings for years with no hassle ( I took one out of the closet after not using it for 3 years and put it on a tank, the IP was right on the money. I had it checked and all the rubber parts changed for $20)

An older BP from SP would work well as I've heard the new stuff is not as good as the old ones. but any good performing reg will do, it just needs the IP set a little higher than normal for cyklons.

Back
Top Bottom