Poseidon Cyklon 5000 Metal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dellos

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm thinking to buy my first Regulator and wondering about Poseidon Cyklon 5000 Metal

At my first dive (overall first in live) I've had normal plastic Cyklon 5000 and it was good clean experience.

But going forward for my first "buy", i've thinking about this model and it's Old construction priced high and wondering if is it still a good idea to buy new Cyklon or go for more modern Regulators?

Cyklon is a proven design, and is very hardy. I'm a hardcore Poseidon fan, but I don't dive my metal much, except for the bling factor. It IS a conversation piece.

Now the "why":
After a week and 5 dives a day/ 35 dives in Bonaire in 2014, I concluded it was just a little heavy in the mouth. My plastic Cyklon was better. Additionally, Poseidon doesn't make a 90-degree connector for the second stage end that would permit an under the arm routing. As a result, when looking hard to the left or right, the reg pulls on your mouth.
Next, the reg is a metal to metal design inside. The valve actuator is prone to corrosion and absolutely demands religious rinsing.
Finally, it is one of the only regulators today demanding 145-163 psi pressure from the 1st stage, which for most every manufacturer is over specification. That means a Poseidon first stage only.
To add insult to injury, the Poseidon XStream 1st stage, perhaps the most advanced diaphragm design in the world, is not a tested pair with the Cyklon. You'd have to buy each one separately to get the Xstream 1st and the Cyklon metal. Instead you're stick with the previous model, which is good, but not as good.

If you're a diaphragm guy, much as I lament Scubapro's rigid stance in the market, I think the Mk17 and G260, or Mk 17 and S620 are the next best choices in the world. You'll now hear from LOTS of tech guys who say otherwise, lol.

I speak as both an old diver and an old service tech.

My 2 cents

Last edited:
poseidon makes a hose adapter for the plastic cyklons?!?

True. A lot of decisions to ask of a new diver. But true. I use one, and then add a 90-degree connector on a five foot hose.

I have metal Cyklon 5000 with 2 second stages and hoses. Its untested as its missing a hp plug. $150

"To add insult to injury, the Poseidon Xstream 1st stage, perhaps the most advanced diaphragm design in the world, is not a tested pair with the Cyklon. You'd have to buy each one separately to get the Xstream 1st and the Cyclon metal. Instead you're stick with the previous model, which is good, but not as good."

Our stage regs are Cyclon 2nds with Xstream Mk II 1st stages (IP adjusted to match Cyclons) and work great. We use the Xstream Mk III regs for our back gas. If you are a Poseidon freak it is a great way to go! Yes..... there are hose adapters out there that let you use standard hoses on Cyclon 2nd stages, we use them on our regs.
Norman H.

Finally, it is one of the only regulators today demanding 145-163 psi pressure from the 1st stage, which for most every manufacturer is over specification. That means a Poseidon first stage only.

Realistically, I would like to hear the decrease in safety factor achieved by setting the static intermediate pressure to that of 30fsw over base 135-140.

Turn it up..

That is a great feedback. I also noticed that moving head hard right/left is making more pressure on reg in mouth and I would need to adjust it again for center use. Hmm so as I see it's nice to keep Poseidon just for collection purpose or for being poseidon freak to use it. But to make it more "universal" it's a long way to rebuilding and modifying reg for better usage.

Thanx for feedback, I would also like to see some photos of your Cyklon 5000 mods and Cyklon 5000 Metal as well.

Yes the 90* adapters for the cyklon are available.

One downside to the metal cyklon is the oversized mouthpiece opening. Might be a challenge getting a quick replacement if you needed it in a hurry. The plastic body cyklons seem closer to normal.

I like the way the cyklon 2nd stage can be tucked against the neck of a stage/deco bottle. I have one on an AL40 that I use for a safety bottle mated to a cyklon 300 first stage and button gauge. This is a very compact and streamlined package. And as others have stated. The cyklon 2nd stage is as close to bulletproof as you will find.

Back
Top Bottom