Porteau this weekend/part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Once again, I am heading to Porteau this Saturday (Sept. 18th) to try to shoot some video of the Nakaya. 9am splash if anyone elses wants to to go.

Last edited:
Eric, Laudhi and I are planning a dive(s) for tomorrow. We usually splash a little later than 9am but I'll ask them if they're ok with an earlier splash in Porteau. If we don't see you, be sure to get some footage of Big Ben. The last time I saw him he let me rub his chin for a while before turning around and going into the wreck.

The guys say they dropped the tanks for filling at Ocean Quest just now. They'll pick them up tomorrow when the shop opens. That means we're probably not splashing down tomorrow any earlier than 9:45-10ish. So we may see u over there, but may not get in time to dive, Dale. You may join us if you want, bighiller.

I don't plan that far ahead into the future :)

It's Porteau, so nothing too deep. Eric says he'll be carrying 32% so nothing below 112'. We'll probably do the classic Nakaya, Granthall, Centennial, but we're open.

Dove the Nakaya on Saturday and took some video. The ol girl is really suffering. The port hull in the forward section looks like it is being held up by one pole acting as a brace. Divers should be careful not to swim under it when investigating the debris field.
Here's the video: YouTube - Nakaya 2010 final

Interesting video. I last dove the Nakaya about 12 years ago. It sure has fallen apart since then. It still seems that there isn't much invertebrate life on it compared to the shallower structures at Porteau (eg: plumose anemones). Years ago I just saw tube worms on the wooden hull. So now that it's not marked, how do you find it? Do you just have to be a wizard with a compass?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom