Portage--Aug. 22-24

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to hear that you broke your ankle. It is funny that you comment about getting in and out. The natural landings created by the rocks are wonderful. My friends and I view that as one of the best assets to the quarry.

yeah some of those natural ledges work nice for getting in an out , but for every "nice" route there's probably 5 with ankle-breaking potential :) , depending on where you attempt getting in/out and how well you know "the lay of the land" you may not come across any of the naturally sweet egress points.

btw Bus, what time tomorrow are you arriving @ Portage?

Sorry to hear that you broke your ankle. It is funny that you comment about getting in and out. The natural landings created by the rocks are wonderful. My friends and I view that as one of the best assets to the quarry.

They're not so good when having doubles on ones back.
I see no advantage to climbing over rocks with a single stack or doubles...

It was June 6th and the water was really high. I couldn't see any good place to get in or out so I picked what "looked" to be an OK place.

To my mind climbing over rocks for entry/exit is NEVER preferable to well constructed steps.

I like the quarry but the fact remains that there are no really good entry/exit points.

Well I am not going to win this debate. I like the entry and exits. Then again I am not walking around with doubles. I do like just sitting in the water and being able to push off. For me it works. Fingers crossed that no one in my crew twists an ankle this weekend.

If I do not have any clients tomorrow then I will be out of Detroit by 10 am. If I have any sessions scheduled then I will be out by 2pm. Regardless I will be diving tomorrow and then chilling. The wife and bambino should be there by 7 pm.

Looking forward to an enjoyable weekend.

Randy - You might want to check out Portage again.

I was surprised at the changes listed on the Portage website when I visited earlier today. Among them were hot showers and toilets for campers. & entry piers constructed out of concrete slabs.

From the website:
"A concrete pier was constructed in the southwest corner of the quarry to aid entry into the water. Each 5-foot block weighs one ton. Another concrete pier was built on the back wall next to the Beech craft airplane, also in the southwest corner of the quarry."

Paula

I won't promise to be there by a certain time. I may get there early but don't count on my diving uintil Saturday.

Where do you typically set up? Front, middle, back? The last few years we've been setting up either in the electric hook-ups or close to it 'cause this is one of the events where we have pre-teens attending and the parents want to be able to see them when they are swimming.

Paula

I have an intake/session scheduled from 11 to 1. I will be on the road by 1:30. We will be set up by the electric hookups.

Glad to hear there will be more kids running around. I will have my four year old and my friend will have his six year old.

Look forward to seeing everyone.

Awwww I'm jealous you guys! I love Portage and so do my regular buddys. I love going in off of the beach. Almost feels tropical.

Have a great time! Take Pics!! And do a trip report please!!

BTW, I'll be doing the wrecks out of Sanilac this weekend. :)

about a quarter to 4 till about 7pm... got in 1 dive w/ some of the usual Friday crew...

I didnt see a pop-up V'dub , but I don ' think I was looking in the right place... where I was parked there wasnt any camping people.

Next time...

about a quarter to 4 till about 7pm... got in 1 dive w/ some of the usual Friday crew...

I didnt see a pop-up V'dub , but I don ' think I was looking in the right place... where I was parked there wasnt any camping people.

Next time...

ahhh... thought you were coming for the weekend. We all set up acroos from the beach / swim area.

As you said, next time...

A good time was definitely had. The water made a perfect retreat from the heat. And I got to meet several great people!

Paula

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom