Portable Photo Storage Device...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can purchase a 80GB 2.5' hard drive with built in CF, SD, MD, Memory Stick, and etc.

For $90.00

orca, which one is 90 dollars? I have been following this...
also, what do you think I should get as an external hard drive for at home? Or does it matter? I hate computers. I have utilized 75% of my drive...

what is the biggest thumbdrive out there BTW? I have a V-cast bluetooth phone thing that is supposed to accept photo storage...oh my head hurts.

WEll If I was going on a liveaboard to take pictures, I sure would want to know if my pictures suck before I got home and still had a chance to do something about it. You can buy a Laptop for $300 bucks or less now so why is there even a discussion?

It might be nice to have a cheap one to drag around...

Cat

Here is what i suggest to all my clients.

Purchase a large 400GB Hard drive ($100) add that as your secondary hard drive to your computer. Store all your data on this drive.

The main drive where your Operating system resides use a 80GB to 120GB hard drive.
Store all you junk here. You can also use it to temp store all your movies and pics for editing.

The largest 2.5 inch external hard drive I have seen is a 160GB but it is really expensive.

I would go for the 80Gb Hard drive with CF, SD, MD, Memory Stick for $90+

I will take a photo later what the external hard drive looks like.

As for your Phone... I have no knowledge on V-cast. Never heard of it before.
Tell me what type of memory it uses and I will tell you where you can purchase your
memory card.

We didn't buy the ipod...couldn't find the adapter for the Sony cam anywhere...

As far as the hard drive goes, I don't think there is a driver to transfer the pics from the camera, as I don't have a laptop (and those sure cost more than $300, btw). The hard drive I found that would transfer the pics would not transfer the video files and would only go one-way from the cam to the hard drive, not vice versa.

ocrmaster:
You can purchase a 80GB 2.5' hard drive with built in CF, SD, MD, Memory Stick, and etc.

For $90.00
Where? Are there drivers to support the camera? Will it take video files, too?

It is a hard drive it can take anything.

mp3, wma, wmv, avi, xvid, and etc.

would only go one-way from the cam to the hard drive, not vice versa.

The purpose of a external hard drive is to transfer your data to it. And later when you get to your home PC
to transfer all the images there.

If your on a budget, here is what I suggest you do.

Here is cost effective tip and it is fast

Requirements:
1. Multi card reader $5 to $10 (USB 2.0) - CompUSA, OfficeDepot, OfficeMAX, and etc.

2. Ipod USB cable
3. Ipod 20GB/30GB/40GB/60GB or External Hard Drive 2.5'
4. Memory Stick, Compact Flash or SD Card
5. PC with USB 2.0

* Memory Stick, CF and SD cards have different speed ratings.
* Example: 133x (21 MB/s read 15.5 MB/s write)
* Example: 150X (22.5MB/sec read, 15MB/sec write)

Unless your going to the outbacks. The resort / liveaboard will have a PC in their office.
If your nice and sweet, the will let you use their computer for a few minutes.
It takes about 10 mins to transfer 1GB from my ExtremeIII SD card to my Ipod Photo 30GB. Using a PC w/ USB 2.0. If your CF or SD card is slower it will take longer.
If your transfering from a 1GB using a PC with USB 2.0, with a memory card rated at 150X speed, and a External 2.5 hard drive (5400 rpm) it will take about 4 mins.

Attach your Ipod to the PC or External Hard drive
Remove the SD or CF from your camera
Attach the SD or CF card to the card reader
Attach the card reader to the PC
Begin transfering images to Ipod Photo.

For those times that I know that no computer is available. I bring 3X 2GB SD cards with me and 3 extra batteries.

At Max Resolution using a 8 megapixel camera 559 shots (max settings) or 17 mins of video at 1024 resolution

Have a good time and dive safe!

ocrmaster:
Cat

Here is what i suggest to all my clients.

Purchase a large 400GB Hard drive ($100) add that as your secondary hard drive to your computer. Store all your data on this drive.

The main drive where your Operating system resides use a 80GB to 120GB hard drive.
Store all you junk here. You can also use it to temp store all your movies and pics for editing.

The largest 2.5 inch external hard drive I have seen is a 160GB but it is really expensive.

I would go for the 80Gb Hard drive with CF, SD, MD, Memory Stick for $90+

I will take a photo later what the external hard drive looks like.

As for your Phone... I have no knowledge on V-cast. Never heard of it before.
Tell me what type of memory it uses and I will tell you where you can purchase your
memory card.

Easy enough, I will print this and follow it to the letter. Thanks!

512 MB mini SanDisc---it does not have anything on it. I think it is for music and images... I have not gotten that far, I am still trying to figure the Google part out. He said to plug it in to my computer and click and drag my I -pod library, images, etc. My Nikon D 100 card is 1 MB I think. When I start shooting RAW soon, I will be living on the edge if I don't get another hard drive. What is the logic for having the data on the external?

Of course, I can barely work my Suunto Stinger after three years, but I am sneaking up on it.

I have an Ipod Photo 30 gb and an Ipod camera connector ($29). I just plug in my D70s camera usb connection to the Ipod camera connector, which in turn is plugged in to the Ipod Photo. Transfer of 200 pix takes about 10 mins and can be a drain to your Ipod. I make sure my Ipod Photo is plugged in to an outlet while doing the transfer.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9861G/A

compatible with http://www.apple.com/ipod/compatibility/cameraconnector.html

But here's the catch..it works only for Ipod Photo...

I still stand by the Compactdrive PD70X. If you frequent dedicated photography forums, the only two front runners as far as performace are it and the Nexto CF. Both take a 2.5" drive (up to 80Gb). The PD70X takes 4xAA, and supports all common memory cards. the Nexto has a Li-ion battery and accepts only CF cards. Both are by far the quickest dedicated devices on the market for dumping data from your memory card to a hard disk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom