Portable Photo Storage Device...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bennedc

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey ya'll.

I am getting ready to do a liveaboard trip to Bahama with Blackbeards in June. I don't have a laptop and am looking, instead, to purchase a portable photo storage device. I'm confused about some of them, as I won't have a driver/software to upload them, like to a hard drive or something, via USB. I am looking for something that takes Memory Stick. I have a Sony DSC-W7 that uses lots of space on highest resolution setting of 7mp. I use it for video clips, too. I thought this might be a better route than buying more memory sticks and cheaper and smaller than a laptop. Any suggestions or past experiences? Thanks!

No I-Pod.

I thought of this and mentioned it to my husband already. He says that 6x8 is too large (picky) and that he doesn't want to have to fool with keeping up with the CDs, too. We're going to be on a liveaboard...don't want to have to deal with skips or errors in burning when the boat rocks. I know..I know..it doesn't matter to me because I think it is a great idea. He wants the portable storage device, specifically.

Of course, the simplest option would be to carry spare memory cards for your camera.

Cheap, small, and you don't need any accessories.

archman:
Of course, the simplest option would be to carry spare memory cards for your camera.

Cheap, small, and you don't need any accessories.
I have a couple of extra gig sticks (3 total), but we're going to be there for a week and I am taking video too. That's the kicker. The video really eats up the space. Each 1gb card on E-bay is at least $100. I have 7mp cam. I think I have onhand a total of 3gb and another 128mb right now. Would like to have another couple of gig for videos.

I'm not sure that this will be exactly what you are looking for but what I use professionally works really well.

I can shoot in the course of a week around 100 gigs of photos. I need a card reader that can read my memory cards very quickly. I use 2 gig cards and the reader that I use will download them in 2 minutes.

I use a NextoCF with a 100 gig drive. It is about 4"x7"x1/2" and fits nicely into a small pelican case. It downloads into your laptop via firewire or USB.
http://www.savitmicro.co.kr/eng/product/storage/storage_nextocf.htm

I have the Archos MP3 player - Gmini 400, I think.

Love it. Doesn't take Sony's media, but there is an adaptor.

Has a colour screen and keeps all my music, too. I use it all the time which I wouldn't do with some of the other options.

Unfortunatley it's going to be a compromise on size, price, compatibility and futzing with cords/adaptors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom