Portable fill station

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oxyhacker:
Two other things I'd want for untended or semi-untended operation would be a high temperature cut off (most Bauers have them but not all the portables) and a redundant relief valve (I had the Bauer one freeze up one day in very cold conditions, maybe not a problem where you are).

Thanks again Vance. No high temperature cut-off that I'm aware of. Wouldnt be too hard to interlink a high-temp criteria (measured from the cylinder exterior) with the pressure switch - could interlink with the same kill switch on the engine ignition circuit. But any ideas what the critical temperature should be? In general, I have found that the 2nd stage cylinder seems to be running a little hotter than the final stage, so I suspect I'd mount it there. Might just have to take a "suck it and see" approach to setting the temperature treshold. Another option could be to base it on the crank oil temperature - would respond somewhat slower, but less chance of the sensor falling off the cylinder. Any suggestions?

With the freezing relief valve, roughly what temperature range do you mean by "very cold conditions". The ambient temperature during operating hours in the areas I'll be using this system are rarely below 10°C (50°F), and most of the time sitting around 20-30°C (68-86°F), although late night minimums occasionally drop below freezing. 10°C is cold for me to consider diving, but I suspect may be somewhat warmer than your referring to?

I'll take some pictures of the system in its present form for you - I'll add them to my profile here, so others can see them too. Feel free to include them in your book, as long as they are appropriately referenced etc. Are there any particular elements you would like the detail on? i.e. mounting system, pulley connection, gearing, snorkell, method to swap between electric (mains) and direct poweer take - off drive etc? Can probably take some photos over the weekend and post next week.

I'm starting to think that it might be simpler to mount the banks, but only fill them from the compressor when its electrically powered. Then use the storage in the banks to pre-fill dive cylinders, and top the banks off at the end of the day, when I can babysit. Interlinking pressure, temperature and CO kill switches, plus setting up the autodrains is starting to sound like a more ambitions project than I have time for at present - so this project might get relegated into the "someday" pile.

what about leaving your truck running while diving? won't somebody just be like "hey a running, unattended truck" and take it?

Sorry it took so long, had forgetten about this post, but here are some images of the existing compressor setup.
compressor_car_nitrox_stick.JPG
compressor_detail.JPG

Back
Top Bottom