Portable DIY Reg Shelf in RubberMaid Tote

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stever2002

Contributor
Reaction score
Like many of the quarry divers, I carry most of my gear in one of those large RubberMaid totes. Specifically, I use the 22 gal version. Since buying my first set of regs, I was in a quandary as to how and where to store them. Common consensus on ScubaBoard is to “loosely coil” the regs and hoses. However, shelf space is tight here at the house, and many of the reg bags I found would require coiling the hoses in a circle of 14” diameter or less. Although I’m a rookie, that did seem rather tight to me, especially for long-term (winter month) storage.

After diving, I would use the tote as a dunk tank, then rinse everything off well and leave to dry with the top opened, for a week or two. Finally, after that week long "dry out" period, I would place the regs in the totes top, up-side-down as seen in this picture:

InvertedTop.JPG

Then I got to thinking, if these tops mate with the tote in an up-side-down configuration, why not get a second one, and use it as a shelf for the regs. So I got a second top and cut it to fit. I used a combination of a coping saw, utility knife and scissors – the plastic does cut very easily. It took a few iterations of going around the edge, but finally got the shelf to fit. I did resist the temptation to use my Dremel (rotary tool), for fear of melting the plastic. Also, I went around the edge quite a few times with sand paper and the utility knife to ensure no plastic scraps were present to get into my 2nd stages.

Here is a shot of the untouched top (left) next to the new shelf (right).

Here are shots of the final product:

ShelfInstalled1.JPG

ShelfInstalled2.JPG

Underneath are my gloves, mask, snorkel, booties, etc. etc. Everything but my fins (Anyone have a good way to store and carry them?)

I know - low tech - but hey, its cheap and it works ! Since it appears that I have the height, I'll probably place a towel on the shelf and let the regs and hoses sit on that, just to pamper them some more :D

Comments? Suggestions?

...steve...

looks good! though i think I'd put a loop of nylon cord on one or both ends of the tray just to make lifting it out of the tote a little easier.

Ed - Agreed. I'm trying to come up with some sort of lift handles. Also maybe some more holes to facilitate ventilation so those items down below don't get musty.

...steve...

Very cool! I was thinking holes too. You could cut a couple of finger holes toward the sides. They would serve both as ventilation and places to grab with a finger to lift the shelf out.

I use a stanley rolling tool box. I saw the guys with the totes like this one but mine has wheels! after a dive i roll the whole show up onto my deck, fill with water and walla, a rinse tank. then, i can tip it over, drain it, then hand things to dry. This post did give me the idea though that maybe i could find a way to use bungees or something to strap my regs to the bottom of the lid. I can also use a tiedown strap around the box and strap my tank on the top of that for rolling to the beach site.

I can fit all my coldwater gear inside of it.

Codyjp:
This post did give me the idea though that maybe i could find a way to use bungees or something to strap my regs to the bottom of the lid. I can also use a tiedown strap around the box and strap my tank on the top of that for rolling to the beach site.

Now that is a cool idea! You could probably mount some heavy mesh inside the lid to hold the regs and cut some forms to hold the tank from rolling under your strap.

Codyjp:
I use a stanley rolling tool box. I saw the guys with the totes like this one but mine has wheels! after a dive i roll the whole show up onto my deck, fill with water and walla, a rinse tank. then, i can tip it over, drain it, then hand things to dry. This post did give me the idea though that maybe i could find a way to use bungees or something to strap my regs to the bottom of the lid. I can also use a tiedown strap around the box and strap my tank on the top of that for rolling to the beach site.

Post photos please!!!!

Have you thought about pulling the hooks off of a couple of the black bungees and mounting them to the outside / top to hold the fins? You could put machine screws from the inside out to mount the bungees.

Betail:
Post photos please!!!!
OK :wink:

Stanley #29005 24gal Mobil Job Chest ... Fits in the hold of the Catalina ferry, hauls my gear to the dive site from the blocks away parking, and I have used it to carry 2 al80 tanks too
2 sizes ... my 29" small one, and a large 37" one that will fit an al80 inside

Note: use a ratchet style tiedown, and a rubber floor mat under tank to prevent slipping

... I very much like what you did to the container, very ingenious :)

D_B:
OK :wink:

Stanley #29005 24gal Mobil Job Chest ... Fits in the hold of the Catalina ferry, hauls my gear to the dive site from the blocks away parking, and I have used it to carry 2 al80 tanks too
2 sizes ... my 29" small one, and a large 37" one that will fit an al80 inside

Note: use a ratchet style tiedown, and a rubber floor mat under tank to prevent slipping

... I very much like what you did to the container, very ingenious :)

I wrap my strap around my entire box. I put my fins on the bottom of the box since i need them last.

I also bring a cable bike lock and a normal pad lock so i can put my wallet/keys in it and then use the cable to attach it to something and lock it down, that way my stuff is safe and i don't have to rent a rusty locker.

I would reccomend to others to put some paint or something on the bare metal so it doesn't rust. Mine is starting to rust and at this rate i will need a new box in about 5 years. oh well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom