Portable compressor motor swap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaKing98

Registered
Reaction score
I have a portable gas compressor with a five HP Honda gas engine. I am thinking to convert it to electric for my boat. I have a 6.5 KW diesel generator on the boat, so I should be able to run a single phase motor strong enough for the compressor. Any suggestions.

Thanks for any input!
C King

Do you have 220V? That makes all the difference when it comes to running a compressor. It only takes a 3 HP electric to replace a 5 HP gas. Go by the amperage not the alledged HP - you want something drawing at least 15 amps/220V. If you only have 110V then you might want to derate the compressor (slow it down with a smaller drive pulley) so you can use a 110V 2 HP motor.

Make sure your generator can handle the load - things aren't always what they seem when you are driving a big motor from a generator, there are startup loads and other issues to consider.

When I need a motor I usually get an industrial surplus or pull from Surplus Center in Nebraska. Last time I checked they had, among others, a 15 Amp/220V motor that is mislabled as a 1 HP for only about $70 that has worked well as a replacement on several small compressors orginally fitted with 5.5 gas Hondas.

If there is a start load problem this can be avoided by installing a clutch. On my home made portables there is a belt tensioner which is used to engage or release the pump. Consists of a ball bearing press fitted onto a steel boss. The boss is drilled/tapped to accept a knob. The knob is turned to release the bearing which is normally held tightly in place. Thus, the bearing can be raised or lowered, and locked in position, to control the belt. I'll take a pic if there are ?'s.
Pesky

You can also call the manufacturer rep in your area. I bought a used bauer gas powered compressor and converted it to electric. I got lucky and bauer in Miami had an extra motor they had just taken off a unit just like mine and I got a deal on it. I wasn't sure if I bought a surplus motor if the frame holes and such would line up or what sized pulley I would need so I played it safe.

Good luck.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom