Port Closed This Morning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Dillehay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
As of 7 am, Port was closed. Don't know why, just a slight north swell and very little wind with light rain.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

---------- Post added November 24th, 2015 at 07:32 AM ----------

As of 8:30 we are loading boats at the Marina. This will be interesting to watch!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I am getting a very uneasy feeling about this new port captain. The closures over the last two months seem to have been arbitrary and show a lack of knowledge and experience with the local conditions. This morning WindGuru is showing moderate winds 13 knts @ NNE and continuing to shift East, which would not normally cause a closure since the southern dive areas are shielded by the island.
If this continues the island is going to lose a lot of dive days to 'what if / maybe' as opposed to an actual El Nortes this winter. From the past closures it seems that when it is realized that the closures were in error and lack basis he hesitates in reopening the port which leads to a lot of frustrated dive OP's and vacationers. As I understand it the last incident led to an angry croud gathering in front on his office late in the morning and a meeting between a handful dive OP representatives where he promised to get a clue going forward.

Last edited:
We are here right now as well, and don't feel the port closure was warranted. Is it common for the port to be re-opened yet today? Hoping to hop on an afternoon dive boat since my morning dives were cancelled.

Port was open as of 8:05am - we went directly to the Harbor Masters office to confirm - we had a scheduled departure for 9am this morning.

Last edited:
Looking out my window, I saw boats going out at 7:15am. Just larger ones and then everything was open by 8:15. It started out looking a bit rough but the wind died down. Nothing to get excited about.

Well, this afternoon the port was again, apparently "closed". Aldora was told to cancel afternoon trips. On again, off again, its tough on all of us!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Crazy! We heard when we got out from our 2nd dive that they had closed the port for a bit. If anything, water was a tad calmer today than yesterday. We had no problems at all. Sounds like this new harbormaster doesn't have a clue!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom