Poor Microsoft...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ubuntu is an awesome step forward, but not quite there yet. Try updating your ati video drivers, or mounting a new hard disk later or even a new printer. These are basic things that your avg joe user does often enough that make linux not quite there yet, but they are getting very close.

I agree. Though, I have watched linux be close for about four years or so now. I played with Ubuntu once when it first came out and it was pretty clean. I'm sure it's better now. I am personally a Slackware fan. I think more because it's just what I'm used to and have used the most and it's very clean and Unix like. Due to the direction my job and life has gone, I haven't had a chance to use linux in quite some time now.:(

I am glad that Vista was released, because it will drive more people towards Apple and OS X.

^This^
:wink:

If you run any type of programs that require high performance, such as games or graphics design programs, you can really see the flaws in Vista. For whatever reason, to get the same performance in a game, you need about twice the ram as you would for XP. Processor speed also needs an increase to get the same performance as XP.

you need about twice the ram as you would for XP. Processor speed also needs an increase to get the same performance as XP.

well yeah, you need all that extra memory for arrow glass or whatever they call it.

Thanks for the link, I just heard about the article on TWIT and was going to have to go look for it.

I bought vista for a couple reasons:
1: so I can run V planner
2: I couldn't find any of my 4 XP cds (switched to Mac Book Pro)
3: Parallels wouldn't accept 98

my thoughts... dunno I fire up V planner, then switch back to OSX. In that matter its the best microsoft product Ive ever used (almost invisible)

my thoughts... dunno I fire up V planner, then switch back to OSX. In that matter its the best microsoft product Ive ever used (almost invisible)

Aren't emulators available to run windows programs on Macs? Linux has several (wine being the most popular); you'd think something for OSX would be available by now.

Bryan

Aren't emulators available to run windows programs on Macs? Linux has several (wine being the most popular); you'd think something for OSX would be available by now.

Bryan

I've answered my own question. Wine hasn't been ported to OSX (yet?), but for $35 you could have bought crossover, which does the same thing.

Bryan

last year, when the hard drive died in my tivo (with a life time subscription) I thought "now's a good time to upgrade to directTV with tivo." after looking into the price I said "no *******n' way I'm paying that much" so I started looking into alternatives. I bought/tested Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 w/SP2B - OEM and MythTV running on various linux OSs. the MS media center I bought came with a free upgrade to Vista Home Premium when it was released.

My only concerns were the DVR functions...
I found that on the same hardware, Xp media center was far superior to Vista. On vista the video looked grainy and well, just crappy.
MythTV was much harder (tv output wise) to setup and get it working on the same hardware. It performed better than either of the above but... you had to re-up you tv guide listings every 3 months...

I settled on XP media center.. oh, and I replaced the hard drive in my tivo and it's all better now so I have 2 DVRs.. 3 really, I still play around with myth every time there's an update. I currently testing a 4 tuner (1 HD) setup running on Open SUSE 10.2...

Is the video playback as good as the TIVO? Just wondering since I'm thinking about buying an HD Tivo.

better

I'd never buy another tivo because of the monthly subscription fee... but it was totally worth the $250 lifetime subscription fee 8 years ago

Back
Top Bottom