Poor grad student in need of regulator advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LockeOak

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a new diver and I'm having some trouble picking a regulator, so advice would be appreciated. I'm studying coral reef biology, so that's the environment I'll be in for any dives I can foresee (I'm not going to be doing recreational diving, though when diving on coral reefs is part of your job, you don't have to!)

Here's my situation:

4-6 weeks of diving per year, avg. 1 dive per day
All warm salt water, never below 70F (almost never below 75F).
Fairly shallow, mostly above 40', often less than 20'. Occasional trip down to 100'.
Possibly widespread dive sites, so something that travels and services well internationally is also important.
Budget is kind of tight, < $400 for the primary+secondary.

I'm sold on Scubapro based on what I've used before and testamonials from the people I work with. So, is a Mk2+/190 for dirt cheap ($135) sufficient, or is it worth the step up to a Mk2+/295 ($215), Mk11/395 ($325) or a Mk17/X650 ($375)? The price difference between the Mk11 and Mk17 is small enough that it's probably worth it just to go with the Mk17. Also, a question about servicing: as part of my scientific diving certification I have to have annual regulator service. Is there a price premium for service of particular regulators? Thanks all.

You might have differences between brands, but since your set on ScubaPro just make sure there is a dealer near you that can service SP. There should not be a difference between servicing regs from the same company.

I have not used those regs so I cannot be more helpful than that...

Good Luck!

I don't think you can go wrong with the Mk2/R190 at that price for the diving you are planning.

The 190, 295 and 395 will all breath the same "there all unbalanced second stages". Go with the Mk2/R190... Its a bullet proof system. I went with it for my first reg and am now using it as a pony system. Def. not the best.. but for what your doing.. it would be hard to beat.

I second that. If all you do is research diving in shallow reefs, go with the cheapest option. In fact, if you are certain you won't do any diving outside of your studies, I'd say buying a Scubapro reg is a waste of money. It's like buying a Porsche to buy groceries for a month every year. If that describes your situation, I'd get a Sherwood from Leisurepro. With that small amount of diving, you won't even have to service your reg for the duration of your PhD program. Just my 2 cents. If you don't mind me asking, I'm curious as to whether you are certain to not do any recreational diving? In case you wonder why I'm asking: I'm currently considering going back to grad school myself (marine biology).

Cool, I'll go with the Mk2/190. Should be more than sufficient for my needs, and cheap enough (even cheaper than the Sherwood on Leisurepro). $135 is easily within budget. As for the lack of rec diving, I don't really have the time or funds for it. Sometimes we tack on a dive or two at the end of a work trip (to see a wreck or something like that), but we take it easy. Most of our work at the moment is done in the Keys so it's pretty easy on the equipment.

The MK2 is perfect for what you're describing, it will last forever and be very reliable and easy to service. You'll need to get an additional 2nd stage for an octo (Another R190 is not too expensive) and you'll need either a SPG/depth gauge console, or, a better idea IMO, a plain brass/glass SPG and a wrist computer. If you start getting the itch to get a higher performance reg down the road you can buy a MK10/G250 or Mk10/D400 on ebay for about the same price, but you'll have to deal with getting it serviced. You'll still like having the MK2 as a back up reg.

If fund is tight then go check with a couple of local LDS and see if you can buy one of their rental set-ups. I picked up an Aqualung Titan LX reg set with octo and SPG/depth gauge for $200. The shop claimed that it's been serviced but I took it to my LDS and paid the $50 service charge. It turned out that the shop that I bought it from did indeed service the used regs before they sold them off, but for my peace of mind, the $50 spent on my own LDS is worth it.

As far as price premium for a certain type or brand of regulator, I don't ever recall my LDS mentioning that. It's pretty much $40 or $50 depending on what parts and pieces they have to replace, but without a lot of diving, there shouldn't be much that need to be replaced.

Yeah, the rest of the setup I'm planning is an extra R190 for an octo, a Zeagle Scout BC and a Sherwood 3-gauge console including compass (important when you have to find specific, marked coral heads). A computer would be both expensive and probably unnecessary when we almost never go deep enough to require a safety stop. Toss in a small gear bag, dive knife, safety sausage and BC hangar for just over $600 for the whole thing as a light, warm shallow water setup.

Back
Top Bottom