Pool use only BC ? (UK post)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoppy

Reaction score
I've been "persuaded" to do my DM course next year and so ...

are there any recommendations for a Jacket style BC for use ONLY in the pool anyone? I will dive in my wing in open water. Just means i don't have to mess about setting up for a shortie and dry suit ( spot the lazy s*d :) )

With this use in mind I want to keep the price to a minimum as I can find lots of jackets I like but don't want to spend a shedload of money.

any suggestions gratefully received.

Over here, most training is done through the same shops that sell gear. The "persuasion" used typically involves discounts on gear and first crack at buying former rental gear. If you're going to work in the shop, they may like to see you wearing gear what they sell, so I'd try to work out a deal with them.

On the other hand, if your "persuasion" was more of the blunt trauma type, do you need anything more than one that floats for a few sessions? A BP & wing may be the cheapest solution, but most lines include at least one "budget" priced BCD. Maybe a serviceable but used one (pool water is at least as hard on gear as salt water) from a local shop or ebay.

Steven

In the UK Buddy is the norm. They are pretty bomb proof. There are a lot available 2nd hand on the 'net. The only down side is the non standard shoulder clips (shouldn't be a big deal though).

I would have thought that anly old POS would do fine, though, if you are just using it in the pool.

Hi Hoppy

I would agree with both of the above as reefraff said if your working for a shop they may want to promote a particular brand they may even supply the equipment for training. I would look for a cheap secondhand BC that fits OK they will all be fine for pool work. Good luck with your DM.

Yours Alban :)

can't you use one of the shop rental ones? You are helping them after all, well in the long run you will be!

Jonathan

Can't see what the problem is in using your existing set up? Is it that difficult to adjust? If so, suggest you just borrow or rent one for the pool work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom