Pool session gone awry...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

String:
Its not THAT difficult to do !. In my view a calm controlled ascent, still breathing and possibly making any needed stops is far far safer than just bolting to the surface from depth which is what CESA is.

The point is that PADI trains this order because they can see in the stats that it will create fewer casualties in the long run. What a particular diver does in a given situation is, of course, their call.

Don't forget that buddy breathing technique is *optional* at the PADI OW level (as it is in the renewed BSAC syllabus published a couple of years ago IIRC) and not everyone is trained to do it correctly.

And maybe a picky point but the CESA is intended to be be done in a controlled manner. "Bolting" isn't the right label for the technique if you ask me.

R..

The way i see it, bolting is exactly what it is, an attempt to get to the surface on 1 lungfull of air with no hope of any more

FWIW buddy breathing isnt taught by bsac or padi any more although it is still taught unofficially as an extra skill. The reasoning behind BSAC removal was that it doesnt want a divers first OOA instinct to be BB when theres an octopus present.

Given the choice between doing a calm within limits ascent with air or swimming like hell for the surface the former wins for me every time.

I would like to point out that the PADI system does not introduce Buddy Breathing in its curriculm until the Dive Master program.

Boatlawyer:
.... i.e. passing reg back and forth. I am told that it is more complicated, and therefore dangerous, in an emergency than cesa.

IMHO you were told wrong. Buddy breathing is not difficult to do. It does take training and practice and it really helps to be comfortable with having the rgulator out of your mouth while UW. The people(instructors) who are not comfortable having the reg out of their mouths are the ones who say that buddy breathing is complicated and won't teach it.

Diver0001:
Well......the fact is that the statistics are showing that your chances of survival are better with CESA than with BB ascent and that BB ascent puts two divers at increased risk instead of one.

One could rightly question *why* this fact shows up in the statistics.....but that's maybe another discussion entirely.

R..

R..,

where did you get these statistics? I'm wondering how they worked this out set of statistics :06:

String:
.... someone could endanger another diver going for an octopus or ripping a main reg out of the mouth.

This is true and its one thing I like about GUE's & NSS/CDS policy of practicing these skills breifly on each dive.

String:
The dumbing down of diving and liability culture emerging is really really getting to me.

Seems to me that the dumbing down is what is driving the liability issue. I would think that more thorough, well practiced training would reduce liability :06:

jepuskar:
I would like to point out that the PADI system does not introduce Buddy Breathing in its curriculm until the Dive Master program.

I wonder what good it does to introduce it at the DM level :06:

jepuskar:
That is not exactly true. PADI allows for an optional buddy breathing skill (one option I prefer to use) in OW.
There is a DM skill requiring gear exchange while buddy breathing. The standards make it clear this skill has no real world value except to demonstrate problem solving ability.

String:
Buddy breathing ascent is AFTER cesa ?
Yes :censored:
PADI currently feels that OW divers are incapable of properly executing a BB ascent, and BB is no longer taught. SOME instructors will demonstrate it in the classroom.

Iruka:
The order for ascents given, with CESA preceeding buddy breathing, is the correct PADI order. Whether that is the same order any particular individual would prefer is, of course, another matter.
That was the only question I missed on my "written" test.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom