Pool session gone awry...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kracken:
But it begs the question, "Why didn't he purge the regulator?"

He probably did purge it. Most Octos won't purge correctly when upside down, so it was still filled with water.

Xanthro

jepuskar:
You guys are killing me.....she just wants an opinion on whether or not she should tell her instructor.

Yeah, you're right...
Why cloud the issue with any observations or advice that might save her or her husband's life...

jepuskar:
You guys are killing me.....she just wants an opinion on whether or not she should tell her instructor.
I would. The instructor is likely to have insights that you two might not have thought of. A good instructor will turn any incident into a valuable "learning experience".

If they were following the instructor's recommendations (about doing skills on their own) they have no reason not to tell him.

If I were an instructor I'd want to know of wnything unusual, both good or bad, my students encountered. Again the thing about being able to offer insight comes into play.

I've actually done this with my own OW instructor....... brought little tidbits or incidents to him for his comments, even weeks after they occurred. The insight I get, you just can't buy - and it's tailored to me and my experience. You can't go wrong with that!

TELL YOUR INSTRUCTOR.

Your hubby/buddy made a common mistake, and this is a VERY common mistake with new divers, but he reacted in a way that was not appropriate. His "shrugging it off" may be his way of protecting the fragile male ego, as you know him best, you make the call on that one.

You need to tell your instructor as at this point he does not know that hubby made a potentially fatal response to a fairly simple probelm. Your instructor is trained to evaluate whether he has learned a very important lesson, or he is not ready to dive in open water yet. The difference is your husbands safety, and any embarrassment at a silly mistake is not as important as that.

BTW,

as non certified divers you should not have been in the pool without an instructor.

Practice is good.

baby steps, it seems most of the posters on this thread agree, that you were task loaded and this lead to the initial error of an upside down reg. If your instructor was in the water like he should have been, he would have prevented your husband getting the first breath of water in the first place.

Email your instructor this thread is you dont know how to approach him on the subject.

Some Octos will breathe wet when upside down but all should still breathe well enough.

Another issue here, i see a lot of people with standard hoses mounting their (non swivel) octos on the same side as their primary reg. The result of this is during donation you either donate it upside down OR you have to twist the already short hose and it makes it uncomfortable for the receiver. May not be relevent here but i wish people would mount their standard octo on the correct side for donation :)

Id tell the instructor and arrange some drills under supervision to practice. Bolting to the surface is the wrong action in 100% of incidents and needs practice, for example better methods of dealing would be to (i) switch back to his own reg or octo or (ii) rotate the octo. The surface instinct needs to be removed before you can safely dive.

rainbowangel:
....snip....

Thanks for any advice anyone may have.

You need to throttle back a bit. Do things one at a time for the moment and do them slowly. Mistakes like the one you described are often a result of doing too much at once or trying to go too fast.

Having said that I want to emphasize the positive in this:

You've had a very valuable experience and it ended without injury. It might not have felt valuable at the time but it's much better to have something like this happen when yuo're practicing in a pool than when it happens for real in 10 or 20 metres of water. Be happy that you discovered it now and that you have the chance to correct it now.

Second thing is that you and your husband will probably never forget to look at the orientation of the octopus. When you learned the OOA drills your instructor already pointed this out but now you know *why* and your level of alertness will improve. That's a good thing.

I would (to answer your other question) share this with your instructor. It can't do any harm and he may have some good feedback for you. He obviously knows you better than we do so his feedback might be more relevant.

R..

I removed this because after a bit of thought it was beyond what you were after and might have only added confusion to a student..

Joe

To be honest I agree that you perhaps don't need to do surprise drills on each other but something positive came out of this. You had something go wrong. Your husband paniced which is never good, hopefully he blew little bubbles while bolting for the surface. You didn't panic.

Students who have everything go perfect for them in the pool sometimes are the ones who have something go wrong out in open water and then panic. If you've faced your fears, overcome them you're much more likely to do great. All too often my superstar student has more issues in open water than the one who had issues in the pool.

Practice breathing with that octo upside down while in shallow water, it's not that bad, just different.

jepuskar:

EXACTLY!
In my opinion your relationship with your instructor has nothing to do with this. It is your husband you are (hopefully) going to continue to live with. If he doesn't think it needs to go further than this, it is his decision. You are complete beginners and he made a mistake. As was very well stated, many things led to this situation. ie. In the pool without the instructor, You doing r+r skill practice, the hubby surprising you with an OOA situation, you giving him the octo upside down, Him failing to purge. Certainly not going to happen diring your check-out dives. After all, You married him, give him the benefit of having learned something and move on.
Enjoy the training and watch out for your buddy as he watches out for you

Back
Top Bottom