Pool session gone awry...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not go to your instructor now. Training is exactly that. We have all made mistakes, learn from them and move on. If your husband reacted angrily it is because you pointed out his error and none of us like that. What would going to the instructor now do to fix this problem? Why not just suggest a little more practice on the buddy breathing. Consider getting an Oceanic Omega Octo for both of you, they have no upside down and make great secondaries and primaries. Best of Luck.

Gary D.:
One drill we use for training is to take of one of our divers gear into another room away from them. Then we disassemble it and lay it out on a tarp. The lights go out and we time them on how long it takes to put everything together and get into it RIGHT. That’s a start on knowing your gear. We don’t care about the time as long as there are NO mistakes. Normally it’s less than 10 minutes.

Gary D.
I'm gonna' try this! Are we talking, everything... dry suit, hood, fins.. all the gear?

Rainbow:

It seems that you have lost a little confidence in your dive buddy/husband's ability to react under unknown diving circumstances. I don't think this is a matter to involve the OWI -- everyone else here has already commented on what should/should not have been done on your training exercises. Since both of you are new (and I am just as new, having been recently certified), I can imagine that a little bit of fear has crept in and you want comfort that he has "learned" from this episode and that he will think out his options more rationally next time.

Perhaps he was too embarrassed to give you the reassurances that you wanted. I don't know if pressing the point is helpful since it may be more a communication issue now. Certainly the time to make these "mistakes" are under controlled circumstances. Both of you have been given the opportunity to experience an unanticipated event with no harm done to either of you, other than a bruised ego. These learning experiences should make us stronger, as we understand our limitations at each stage of our learning process. If you feel doubt or have misgivings in your partner, then it may not be a positive learning process until you understand one another.

Can anyone give advice on how to talk with your dive buddy when a near miss changes your perception of his diving ability and he doesn't see it in the same light?

Dive safely, Buddha44

Rick Inman:
I'm gonna' try this! Are we talking, everything... dry suit, hood, fins.. all the gear?
Yup, everything. And no light cheating, totally dark room.

Have Priscilla lay everything out in another room. Everything ready to dive. For back entry zipping up won't be counted but self dawning will.

It's a neat eye opening drill.

Gary D.

rainbowangel:
---Hrm, I'm not certain where this idea that either of us were disobeying or not listening to our OWI came from
You were indeed working with skills that you had been taught, but you were adding to the stress AND going significantly beyond your comfort threshold by stacking multiple skills.
An air share is a basic skill, but requires the full attention of the donor.
Especially during a work-intensive skill such as gear removal or weight belt removal, and OOA situation is not a good thing to add. "Surprise" drills should certainly be done only under supervision of an intructor, or after class, a VERY experienced diver.

We were there out of class practicing, as is encouraged by out OWI.
This I find particularly disturbing. Until after your checkout dives, you are NOT a certified diver and, under the standards of any training agency, should NOT be in the water on scuba gear without an instructor present.
If he is recommending in-water work out of class, I would urge you to report this instructor to whatever agency you are training under. Your incident could have turned out VERY badly.
We weren't trying anything we hadn't done before.
You were R&Ring your gear WHILE your husband pulled an OOA drill. Following this logic, I should be able to drive at 100mph while playing guitar and reading a book... after all, it's nothing I've never done before. Of course, it would be insane to attempt that.
he's the one who suggested things like, randomly practicing out of air drills, etc.
That's fine... but the intent is NOT to pull a surprise OOA drill while you are doing something else that is already pushing you to the limits of your skills (which it is, and will be for 20-50 dives whether you realize it or not).

As far as the skills themselves, I've never once had to R&R my equipment on the bottom, nor have I ever had to R&R my weight belt. I do it every dive on the surface.
I am able to perform the above skills, but there has never been the need for it. The likelyhood that someone is going to approach you for air while you are involved in one of the above activities is extremely remote. I don't even know if I would be able to handle an OOA with my rig half on.

Your OWI's intent was (hopefully) for the OOA drill to happen while you are swimming along looking at the coral.

My sole concern was should I tell our OWI about what happened or not.
Everyone gets a mouthful of water every now and then. Thankfully, he didn't get hurt, and hopefully, he won't do the same thing from depth.

At the point you (and all OW students) are at now, and for the next 20-50 dives (depending on how frequently you dive), you are still in basic survival mode when things go wrong. Your first reaction to a problem is what you are most familiar with... seek a familiar environment and get to a source of air. In the pool, the air at the surface is close, and more instinctively "available" than the air in the tank, which is why your husband bolted.

This thought pattern needs to be broken. I've removed my reg to cough at 60ft. I've gone OOA at 30ft, looked at my buddy, signalled OOA, and headed for the surface. Our instincts are geared for survival on the surface... not underwater. What may save us on the surface may kill us underwater.

Too much task loading, as RichLockyer said.

It's one thing to do an OOA, it's another to spring one on an uncertified diver, who is in the middle of another task.

Plus, your skill test in OW will not be at 50 feet. You aren't even allowed to go past 40 on your first dive.

My skill tests were pretty deep, but that was unusual and it was one on one training, and I'm already comfortable in the water.

Your instructor will be right there during the tests, and will have a hand on you to prevent bolting to the surface. The first tests are very controlled and are designed to see if you can handle the skill in a controlled environment. They really aren't about how to react suddenly surprised with an emergency.

It's great you want to practice the skills, I wish I had someone who would enjoy the same, but please take them one step at a time, and remember, both of you are going to make mistakes. Everyone does, just learn from them. You handed the Octo upside down, he bolted. If you learn from it, it was worthwhile and need not be worrisome.

I do find it odd your instructor would have you practice skills unsupervised, but maybe there is a reason that others are not aware of.

Xanthro

You've received a lot of good commentary above, most of which I agree with, re: task loading and your husband's poor judgement in doing the OOA drill, but I don't think anybody answered your question, which, I think, was, "Wasn't bolting for the surface in this situation the worst thing that he could have done?"

You are right to be concerned that he had this response. Remember (and I think you do, which is why you brought up the incident) the basic rule for dealing with problems underwater - Stop, think and act. It's phrased differently by different training organizations, but those three components are important, and should be done in that order. As you said, he had a regulator over his shoulder. He should have switched back, then decided whether to repeat the OOA drill. (Yes, I agree that he shouldn't have been doing the drill at all at this point, but I'm going back to the original scenario.)

As to whether you should tell the instructor, that depends on your instructor's personality and your relationship with him/her. I think I might bring it up and ask for an opinion on how to handle such a situation if it happened, say, at 50 feet under the ocean surface. Your husband is lucky. Read the DAN accident and injury reports, people can and have died from very shallow rapid ascents. And you are right to be concerned and to address this situation immediately, before something like this has a chance to happen in a less forgiving environment.

Please let us know how this situation resolves. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Good luck,
Grier

But it begs the question, "Why didn't he purge the regulator?"

The Kracken:
But it begs the question, "Why didn't he purge the regulator?"

Yeah, you know I've been reading along wondering if I were the only one thinking this. Upside down really had nothing to do with it, I would think was a lack of purge.

Anyway, sounds like Rich's advice covers all the bases...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom