pony upside down or right side up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

colsonn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got a 19cf pony for a redundant back-up, and I would like to mount it on my main cylinder, but I have seen them mounted both valve down and up. I am wondering the advantages of both.

Its always good to be able to turn your valves on and off while submerged.

Weird things can happen down there.

Which mounting position will allow you to reach back and turn on the tank?

By the way, as this is your first post, welcome to ScubaBoard. Be advised that pony bottles are frequent topics here. If you do a search (third button from the right on the control bar at the top of the page) using words like "pony bottle" or "bailout", I suspect you'll find some reading that will keep you busy for awhile.

Hope you enjoy the place,

Doc

I mount mine "upside down" (valve down) so I have easy access to the valve while I'm diving. The only time I ever needed it I wasn't wearing it. Kind of like my housing occasionally flooded until I started insuring it- nothing since!

Mounting a ponybottle or bailout bottle upside down is common practice for commercial divers, it tends to be easier to open the valve while underwater. For recreatial divers the common practice is to turn your pony bottle on before you hit the water so the diver can test out their equiptment and make sure they are squared away.

My advice is too test out both practices and see what you are more comfortable with.

JUMBO

Thanks for the input, and I have another question after reading up on past pony tank discussions. I think that it is a good idea to have the second stage charged and the valve turned off, (having the pony mounted upside down secured to the main tank). This way I would be ensured of having an emergency air source if needed, but if there is some free flow, and the pressure is completely released in the hose, wouldn't water seep into the first stage causing damage?

Also just to clarify, I am using my pony only for emergency purposes, and in open water, where I am unlikely to find myself in an entanglement. Most of my dives are done with buddies that I don't know very well. At least not well enough to trust my life to.

Thanks again.

Pony bottle

I think that if your system was charged and then the air was turned off, then the pressure released you would still have a water tight system unless your purge button was depressed for a long time, this would be very unlikely.

I thought of another issue regarding having your pony bottle upside down, be carful of the placement if the valve is near the bottom of your cylinder where it is easiest to reach it is also easy for things to grab on to it while you are gearing up especially if you are sitting down like on a boat or something. It is possible to roll the valve handle if you are struggling around on your butt.

I would recommend leaving the valve on, I think the loss of air under water would be very noticeable and easy to correct, and the issue of turning on the valve under water could have issues, do you have a din valve on the pony bottle? There is a possibility of blowing an oring if you have a yoke first stage, but it is a very small chance.

Once again use your experience and make your own call, free advice is worth the price you pay.
By the way how did the beavers do, the huskies got crushed again.

Jumbo

Beaver - 23
Cal - 20

Thanks for the helpful input, I think I'll jump in the pool a few times and try some different configurations with full gear on.

Also, I'm using a yoke first stage for my pony.

I have mine upside down, and turned on before entering the water. I originally had it mounted valve up, but on a vacation had a slight freeflow issue develop in the second stage, so took to mounting it upside down, charged but off; once the flow was fixed back home, I kept it upside down, but on. If I drop my right hand back, the valve is immediately in front of the hose, easy to reach.

Do be careful about mounting, for boat diving. Make sure your first stage is high enough to avoid whacking whatever cans are holding the tanks in place. I just used a spot on the end of a row, so there was room.

For me, it's now standard gear, all the time. I've only left it off when I was explicitly asked to, for a class.

If the pony hose is a pain, sticking out, try a loop of bungee or surgical hose, on one of your BCD side compression straps, tuck the hose into that.

Wow,
I dive my pony Up and on,with a good second stage no free flow NEVER! problem is most folks think the cracking pressure should be set so light!not on a back up-just need air to get top side safe.
Think of it this way,you have a problem at depth,major free flow 1st stage wide open or a / o-ring blows on your spg you cant get a hit of air or a good hit of air in this snow storm of bubbles your freaked out! no air you dont think its a sad fact!!
Ask yourself do you have time to screw with a valve up side down on your side with gloves on, NOPE your doing a scremin assent from depth probaly holding your breath,then your dead thats it!
This valve off thing works great for cave,Tech,wreck divers that penatrate with the tanks on a sling.
My 2-cents ,just my 2-cents worth!
Dive safe Girls
Brad

Being able to go to "off" was useful on that vacation. It was a very slow, but real, second stage flow. Being able to turn the tank off meant that I still had a working pony, could turn it on if needed.
I have had the pony reg serviced, it's been fine, but I still like the thought of being able to turn it off underwater, easily. One more thing to practice, but not a biggie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom