Pony Tamer system - anyone like it / hate it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bruehlt

Contributor
Reaction score
I like the look of the Pony Tamer system, because you can move it quite easily between tanks during the post dive swap over. I know its pricey, but hey, so is everything in regards to SCUBA. Have you used it, and if so, what do you like about it / hate about it??

FWIW, I prefer a slung pony to one on the tank back. Here are what I see as the disadvantages of tank mounted ponies:

1) harder to stow on a boat (especially with certain types of tank racks)

2) seems harder in terms of trim by having this thing sticking out of your back (admittedly, I haven't used one in a while, so maybe I'm wrong about that)

3) Is in a vulnerable position, especially if you are using a yoke valve - that looks like something waiting to be smacked into a reef or part of a wreck, and possibly unseating the first stage.

4) Has the potential for losing your pony regulator - assuming that you won't be bungeeing both it and your secondary reg, it will be clipped off somewhere. Once that is knocked loose you may have a very difficult time recovering it, especially when things have gone bad...

5) No easy access to the valve in case of a freeflow (I usually kept my pony reg charged but with the valve off for this reason).

6) It's harder to hand the whole thing off to an out of air diver

The argument against the slung pony is that there is a perception of it being in the way, but I will tell you that it basically disappears in the water, I have had no issues with that. It's also nice to look down and see the whole thing there, ready to deploy, shut down, or pass off as needed. AND, it gets you used to slinging a bottle if/when you start with deco diving.

Here's the system that I used before I switched to doubles: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tanks-valves-bands/372271-pony-redundant-set-up.html#post5761713

M

I've been using one for years and it works fine. It's true that the extra bulk can be an issue in tank racks, but my HP steel 100s are already a bit thick. I mount my pony bottle with the valve down, and I can reach it perfectly well in the water. When I reach back, the valve is right at my hip. The bottle can be handed off by pulling one pin. I clip off the second stage on a d-ring. I use a standard octo, not a long hose and bungeed octo, fwiw.
You may find it easier (and certainly cheaper) to sling the pony bottle, but the pony tamer does work and seems a bit more streamlined to me.

I like the look of the Pony Tamer system, because you can move it quite easily between tanks during the post dive swap over. I know its pricey, but hey, so is everything in regards to SCUBA. Have you used it, and if so, what do you like about it / hate about it??

There's nothing really wrong with it, but my favorite is here: DIR-diver.com - Stagebottle rigging

Assuming a nice Stainless Steel Clip costs you $5, the whole thing will run you less than $20.

flots.

Yup, like most gear configurations, people who use tank mounted ponies seem to really like them...

I would just be happier in a true OOG situation to have the valve and regulator sitting there in my direct field of vision. While the valve isn't going anywhere if you tank mount the pony, I can imagine that it might be a bit harder to find a loose second stage in an emergency with some degree of panic setting in. But then again, I guess if you can find the valve, you can just follow the hose to the regulator! :)

Personal preference, I'm just happier with my parachute there where I can see it...

M

Re-posted from http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tanks-valves-bands/372271-pony-redundant-set-up-2.html .

At least PADI and NAUI teach that there is a place for a redundant air supply (i.e., a pony) in diving, especially with deep dives. The choice is really up to you.

Personally, I like the idea of a redundant air supply but at this stage in my diving I am not into doubles. I therefore opt for a pony on some dives. Dives on which I believe that a pony is reasonable are: deep, cold, solo, or any combination thereof. I may well have missed something.

There was an excellent link at: Rock Bottom and Gas Management for Recreational Divers | Spherical Chicken which shows that, if you want to go deeper but within recreational limits, a 19 is a good size, and 13 is a tad too small.

The best advice that I can offer is that, if you choose to dive with a pony, practice deploying it and stowing it regularly. Since a pony has a small capacity it will run down quickly. I top mine off from my main tanks with a device such as this: Tank to Tank Equalizer With Gauge discounts on sale IST.

I find that surface-swimming face-down with one mounted on your back is a pain. You might consider a stage/deco straps such as those indicated in Stage/Deco Straps and Hose Retainers by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express rather than a mounting bracket.

I sling mine like this: DIR-diver.com - Stagebottle rigging. The only objection that I have heard to slinging a bottle is that it might get in the way if you are lobster hunting. I would stress that, if you dive with a pony, deploy it regularly so that it is second nature.

I prefer to sling my pony for the following reasons:

1. I can put the pony on or take it off in seconds - no tools, no hassle. I suppose that I could "hand it off" to someone underwater, but I don't think that this will realistically be necessary;
2. I can always see my pony tank and the reg. I can see if my reg is free-flowing, or if there appears to be a leak from the O-ring. If it snags on something, I can see what it snagged and fix the situation;
3. My basic gear configuration is unchanged - I use a primary and a bungee'd octo/secondary necklace. The pony reg is bungee'd to the pony bottle, far from my other two regs, and therefore will not be confused with them; and
4. I can consult the pressure gauge on my pony - this gauge is obviously connected to the pony and therefore will not be confused with my main tank pressure.

As a final note, many tech divers will pressurize their stage bottle then turn the valve off to prevent inadvertent gas loss during a dive. Perhaps one day I will do this, but so far, my pony is pressurized and the valve stays open during the dive. This might not be great if I had to rely on that gas for a deco obligation, but I believe that I am likely to see a leak in the pony and I don't do deco dives.

Safe diving.

As a final note, many tech divers will pressurize their stage bottle then turn the valve off to prevent inadvertent gas loss during a dive. Perhaps one day I will do this, but so far, my pony is pressurized and the valve stays open during the dive. This might not be great if I had to rely on that gas for a deco obligation, but I believe that I am likely to see a leak in the pony and I don't do deco dives.

Safe diving.

I agree with you in general, although I prefer to charge the pony reg and then turn the valve off.

Advantages: No possibility of a free flow regulator causing you to lose this gas. Remember, it's a relatively small bottle, and depending on depth, a free flow can drain your tank pretty quickly: Life Ending Seconds • ADVANCED DIVER MAGAZINE • By Curt Bowen

This study showed, for example, a loss of 8 CUF of gas at 99 FFW in 15 seconds! That means that your 30 CUF pony would be gone in less than a minute.

Disadvantages: If in an emergency situation you don't remember to open the valve, you could enter into a panic spiral.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom