Pony SPG a necessity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wrybosome

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Do you use an spg with a pony that you're only carrying for emergency reasons like an loa situation? If so, why? It seems simple enough to check your fill before the dive.

I do because I use a rather small pony so I want to know how full it is. My 13 cf is adequate but there is little margin for error at depths over 100 ft. Plus I have had problems with my pony reg that resulted in some gas loss early in the dive. Knowing the status of my pony allowed me to make some adjustments and continue the dive.

You always should have a gauge for any tank you take underwater. I carry a 19 cf pony attached to my tank with a gauge on a hose that I can read at all times. The air is on when I dive. With the gauge readable, there is no extra drama in a OOA situation of how much air left. I do not recommend those little button gauges for this very reason. I suppose if you had great eyesight and you were carrying the pony on a sling, you could use the button gauge. Also, I think a sling is a great way to carry a pony, but since I hunt for crabs on the floor, I have found a sling pony gets in the way and therefore a tank mounted pony works best for me.

Also, don't depend on a pony tank until you get a lot of dives behind you - there are a lot of things to consider before going solo.

With the gauge readable, there is no extra drama in a OOA situation of how much air left.

The mental plan was to check that the psi was ~3000 before the dive, then immediately ascend in the event of any problems with the primary gas supply. Strictly witihn NDLs and rec depths so I'm not clear where the drama would be there.

Also, don't depend on a pony tank until you get a lot of dives behind you - there are a lot of things to consider before going solo.

Not planning to solo. Everyone I've talked to about the local boats say I should have a redundant air source because of conditions in the northeast.

Thanks for the response!

I have a button guage and because the pony bottle is back mounted, i can not read it underwater. I hope it will be full if/when I need it, but I always check the pressure before the dive.

You can try to be cheap and tell yourself that you will always check the pony pressure with your primary tank regulator, before each dive, but you will get tired and lazy and begin to forget, especially after 2-3 dives and it is rough etc. etc. The button guage is like $25.

You can try to be cheap and tell yourself that you will always check the pony pressure with your primary tank regulator, before each dive, but you will get tired and lazy and begin to forget, especially after 2-3 dives and it is rough etc. etc. The button guage is like $25.

Hmmm...I have been both cheap and lazy before, Dumpster. That's a good point You must have talked to my wife.

I have a full gauge on all my tanks to include ponies, but that being said if you don't have proper gas management once you are underwater it no longer matters if it has a gauge. It is not going to change the amount of air in the pony. In an emergency where you have to switch to a pony, the dive is over. If there is not enough air in your pony to make a safe ascent, there is no scuba fairy to bring you more gas.

I took my pony to the dive shop the day I arrived at a busy resort last month so it would be filled when they ran the compressor the next morning. Didn't happen, but I did get it moved up for a fast, hot fill to 2500#, finally got it full the next day, then left the reg on it and carried it all week - with a little less everyday as things happen even if you don't use them. I don't want to remove the reg, put my main reg with spg on, check, then remove and replace everyday, much less every dive, but I don't want to KNOW...!

By the end of the week, it was down to 2500 or so but with a 19cf tank and the easy diving we were going, I felt okay with that. My spg did flood on the second or third day but they had a dive shop that sold them. Got one for $60. Simply plugging it never was an option in my mind.
You always should have a gauge for any tank you take underwater. I carry a 19 cf pony attached to my tank with a gauge on a hose that I can read at all times. The air is on when I dive. With the gauge readable, there is no extra drama in a OOA situation of how much air left. I do not recommend those little button gauges for this very reason. I suppose if you had great eyesight and you were carrying the pony on a sling, you could use the button gauge. Also, I think a sling is a great way to carry a pony, but since I hunt for crabs on the floor, I have found a sling pony gets in the way and therefore a tank mounted pony works best for me.

Yep, me too, except I screwed up badly with a backmount once so I sling. Sometimes in front as it's easier to don; sometimes off to the side.
The mental plan was to check that the psi was ~3000 before the dive, then immediately ascend in the event of any problems with the primary gas supply. Strictly witihn NDLs and rec depths so I'm not clear where the drama would be there.
Have you ever had a real CESA? Drama is pretty common then. If I encounter another or another diver with one, I want it easily known how much is in the pony and how fast that changes. I explain on the boat: anyone can grab my pony reg at any time without asking; I will understand and cooperate fully. If that happens, once I/we establish comfortable breathing on the pony, I/we will then review computer demands vs changing air supplies. Even if my beneficiary doesn't recognize what size I am carrying, s/he will be more comfortable seeing 2,000 or more pounds than 500, or not knowing.

If I/s/he has a loaded computer, I/we will use all the air possible in slow ascent and long SS. If I/we are in the green, then getting the ascent done speeds up some. Murphy is never far away.
I have a full gauge on all my tanks to include ponies, but that being said if you don't have proper gas management once you are underwater it no longer matters if it has a gauge. It is not going to change the amount of air in the pony. In an emergency where you have to switch to a pony, the dive is over. If there is not enough air in your pony to make a safe ascent, there is no scuba fairy to bring you more gas.
Sure, but I don't understand. :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom