Pony size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just kidding. I use a 13 when I use a pony, I don't own a 19 so am not qualified to opine on the variations between those two. But this is the thing about ponies, and why there's not a single right answer: you'll lug it here and lug it there, if you're really lucky you'll never use it. If you ever do need to use it, you'll absolutely positively wish it was bigger.

So do you carry the bigger bottle on planes, trains and automobiles (not to mention a hundred or more dives) so that when you need it you have as much as size as possible? It really depends partly on your personality and your dive habits. For me, I figure 13 gets me back to the surface when my primary and second (no octopus here) go kablooie; I won't get in a 5-minute stop but I'll get there at a safe rate. And I'm OK with that risk, others may not be. Seems like a 30-40 would get to be like lugging around a stage bottle; again, depends on how up you are for the extra work.

Thanks night diver. I went with the 19. I want to wear it in a slung position, and the 13 seemed to short for this.

When I travel, I may just get a 13 or buy one at the location if need be. Afterall, most of the expense is in the extra reg and gauge.

I hope to try it out this weekend, last weekends shore dive was cancelled because of the surge.

Xanthro

Xanthro:
Thanks night diver. I went with the 19. I want to wear it in a slung position, and the 13 seemed to short for this.

When I travel, I may just get a 13 or buy one at the location if need be. Afterall, most of the expense is in the extra reg and gauge.

I hope to try it out this weekend, last weekends shore dive was cancelled because of the surge.

Xanthro

The 13 slings nicely. As does the 6.

Ok, Im a total rookie here, but am still in the "trying to learn from people smarter than me cause its costing me lots of money to get all my gear together stage".

MechDiver. I read a sticky somewhere on here that cautioned about being a troll.
Your first post according to the forum rules was a troll. It is the kind of reply that makes new members to ANY forum on the internet question if they should look elsewhere.

I dont know Xanthro. I was interested in any intelligent replies to his question because I am in the exact same shopping mode as he was.

I am "not" picking a fight or trying to instigate you. I just dont understand why you were so negative in your first post. And really for that matter, why you even replied.

Alot of us are here trying to learn. I was doing a search for "pony bottle vs spare air"
and reading all of the posts. I learned the answer was: pony bottle!
Xs post led to me learning something... I guess you should nail me to the cross to the right of him.

Thanks.
Shane

The trenches of the pony bottle wars run deep...

As for myself, I use a 13 cf pony for solo diving, though I have admittedly not dove very deep solo. Maybe like 50 ft or so. It slings well on my left chest D ring.

Many will recommend a 40 cf so you can use it as a stage. I have worn a 40 on my harness, and suprisingly, it does hang really nice. However, if you are fairly sure you will never do deco dives, it is likely overkill...

I take my motorcycle to most of my dives, and the 13 packs nicely in my day packer on the bike. Don't know if I will try to take it overseas...

Xanthro and fellow pony bottlers,

I have read posts where people travel with their pony bottle.

However, my wife and I went on vacation and in fact just returned this week. We carried on our BC's (diverite backplates), regulators and computers. We had to unpack the bags and point to each item in the bag and explain what it was and whether or not it was a necessary item for diving. Then get it all SAFELY repacked.

We checked in our other bags which had our dive knives. These recieved the TSA stickers that said they'd been checked.

We just purchased 2 pony bottles (13 & 19) and I can't imagine the added difficulty of travelling with these. Someone posted that they just take off the valve before they travel with it.

So, maybe give us a post on how you do with travelling with your 19. I'll be on a short business trip that will allow me just enough time for one dive next February.

DrDuktayp

Just take off the valve, cover the tank neck with plastic wrap (the TSA has to be able to look in it and won't remove any plugs), and toss it in your luggage.

I take a 19 all the time. It fits right into a small wheeled suitcase.

--------------------------

Check out: http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?content=090005198005fee0&print=yes

Transporting Scuba Equipment

Some scuba gear can be transported on-board the aircraft. Please refer to the guidelines below:

* Regulators, Buoyancy Compensators and mask, snorkel and fins are all acceptable as checked or carry-on baggage.
* Dive tanks or any compressed gas cylinders are prohibited as checked baggage. A compressed gas cylinder is allowed in carry-on baggage only if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside. TSA Security Screeners will NOT remove the seal/regulator valve from the cylinder at the checkpoint. If the cylinder is sealed (i.e. the regulator valve is still attached), the cylinder is prohibited and not permitted through the security checkpoint, regardless of the reading on the pressure gauge indicator. TSA Security Screeners must visibly ensure that the cylinder is completely empty and that there are no prohibited items inside.
* Knives and tools are prohibited from carry-on luggage. These items should be packed in checked luggage. Any sharp objects packed in checked luggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and security screeners.
* Spear guns are prohibited from carry-on luggage. These items should be packed in checked luggage.

Terry

DrDuktayp:
Xanthro and fellow pony bottlers,

I have read posts where people travel with their pony bottle.

However, my wife and I went on vacation and in fact just returned this week. We carried on our BC's (diverite backplates), regulators and computers. We had to unpack the bags and point to each item in the bag and explain what it was and whether or not it was a necessary item for diving. Then get it all SAFELY repacked.

We checked in our other bags which had our dive knives. These recieved the TSA stickers that said they'd been checked.

We just purchased 2 pony bottles (13 & 19) and I can't imagine the added difficulty of travelling with these. Someone posted that they just take off the valve before they travel with it.

So, maybe give us a post on how you do with travelling with your 19. I'll be on a short business trip that will allow me just enough time for one dive next February.

DrDuktayp

Back
Top Bottom