Pony size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xanthro

Reaction score
I’ve decided to get a pony, in order to have a redundant air source in case of equipment failure. Not something I expect to happen, because I take care of my equipment, but that would be of little consolation if something did go wrong. Plus, sometimes I end up diving solo, or paired with buddies I don’t really believe would be capable of aiding in case of an emergency.

This is in no way a backup for running low on air. I’m good on air, my last six dives I’ve never been below 1000 PSI, and they have all been more than 30 minutes and with depth. Often on a recreational dive, I’ll surface with 1400-1700 PSI.

Much of my diving is going to be off California, but I’d like something I can bring with me as well to other dive locations. This means flying with the cylinder and carrying it in check on baggage.

Most of my dives are going to be less than 100 feet. If they were deeper, I’d likely rent a larger pony if possible.

6 cubic feet would pack easily, but seems a bit on the small side for a nice safety stop. 30 would be plenty of air, but very hard to pack in carry on.

What sizes are between these two? I know of 13 and 19, is there a 9?

What sizes would more experienced people choose?

Xanthro

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of posts on this subject already. There may also be a permanent sticky thread. Do a search as your question has already been answered a number of times.

MD

MechDiver:
There are hundreds, if not thousands, of posts on this subject already. There may also be a permanent sticky thread. Do a search as your question has already been answered a number of times.

MD

I've read most of the other posts on pony's, most are about whether or not you should have one.

Mine was a specific question, concerning my breathing rates and style and reason for wanting a pony, while taking into account the new rules on flying with tanks.

I'm sure if I spent hours trying read every post, I'd likely find some useful information for my specific purposes. Of course, if I had to spend hours, I'd just simply buy one tank of each size and try it out myself, since that would be cheaper in the long run.

If you don't have anything beneficial to add to the thread, then don't post.

Xanthro

Anything under 19 is a waste of money. Stick with a 19 or even a 30/40 if you feel you need it. It sounds like a 19 would be fine plus offer some reserve.

I would get a 30. It's a nice size and has a lot of air for a good slow ascent and safety stop, even under heavy-breathing panic conditions. (I know we like to think we won't panic, but who knows what else could happen besides running out of air)

Whatever you do, don't get a SpairAir. They don't have enough air to be worth anything below 30 feet or so.

You didn't mention it, but how are you going to mount it? I would recommend slinging it like a deco/stage bottle. Search in some of the other threads for a detailed description on how to do this.

Hope that helps

Xanthro:
If you don't have anything beneficial to add to the thread, then don't post.

Xanthro

My, for someone too lazy to read a couple posts and figure out a simple question by themselves, you do have an attitude.

I did contribute by giving you the option of finding an answer by yourself that has been repeated ad nauseum.

teknitroxdiver:
I would get a 30. It's a nice size and has a lot of air for a good slow ascent and safety stop, even under heavy-breathing panic conditions. (I know we like to think we won't panic, but who knows what else could happen besides running out of air)

Whatever you do, don't get a SpairAir. They don't have enough air to be worth anything below 30 feet or so.

You didn't mention it, but how are you going to mount it? I would recommend slinging it like a deco/stage bottle. Search in some of the other threads for a detailed description on how to do this.

Hope that helps

I'd never get a spare air, not enough size. I'll mount what size I get deco/stage bottle style.

Xanthro

MechDiver:
My, for someone too lazy to read a couple posts and figure out a simple question by themselves, you do have an attitude.

I did contribute by giving you the option of finding an answer by yourself that has been repeated ad nauseum.

I read far more than a couple of posted, which would be two

I can tell you Doc Bill in Catalina uses a 13 pony. I can tell you most posters use a 19. Many would recommend a 30 as it can be used as a stage bottle.

There are over 50 seperate threads about pony bottles. Many have to deal with size, very few of the posts directly reference the aspect of flying with the bottle. Some simply say, "It travels easy"

I framed my question specifically to address the travel issue on airlines. Something that has not been discussed ad nauseum. While it may have been discussed, I didn't find this discussion after more than an hour of searching and reading old posts. I'm not going to spend anymore time than that, as it is not cost effective.

My attitude is a direct result of yours. First, you erroneously assumed I hadn't searched previous posts. Second, you compounded this error by getting snotty.

I can calculate how much air I'd need, given a set of parameters, part of which include scenarios that I may not have thought of. Experience of posters on this board helps fill in that experience gap.

I'd have liked to have seen responses such as, "Actually, a 30 isn't that hard to bring as a carry on, I do this and find it quite easy" or "in a crowded plane, I've found a 19 to be a bit too large to fit an overhead compartment, so unless you really think you'll need something more than a 13, I'd go smaller"

See how the above would address the actual original post, instead of answering something that has not been asked. That's why I posted your post was not beneficial, it added nothing to the debate, or the knowledge pool for future readers.

While I may find it annoying if someone posts about a topic that is still on the page, unless I'm having a really bad day, I won't reply negatively to it, as it does neither the board nor the thread any good.

If I were to respond, I'd politely point out how to search, as some posters may not know how.

I'll just pretend you're having a bad day, and didn't mean to start and argument, and I really see no need to have one with you.

Xanthro

Xanthro:
I'd have liked to have seen responses such as, "Actually, a 30 isn't that hard to bring as a carry on, I do this and find it quite easy" or "in a crowded plane, I've found a 19 to be a bit too large to fit an overhead compartment, so unless you really think you'll need something more than a 13, I'd go smaller"

And that is well and good. But you should consider that I have probably answered that question a few times in the past and may not wish to do so again, as they (answers) can be found with a little work (on your part).

Xanthro:
I'll just pretend you're having a bad day, and didn't mean to start and argument, and I really see no need to have one with you.
Xanthro

You may pretend as you wish, but I'm actually having a fairly nice day. I expect people to work somewhat for their knowledge, so if you ask something similiar in the future, you may expect a similiar response.

MD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom