Pony or twin - what's safer, better...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

furmirek

Registered
Reaction score
"The alternate air supply" required for some reasons/organisations seems to be a must. The question appears immediately : add 4liters pony or switch to twin (even 2x8liters) ? I am tending to ss backplate and IMHO twin would be better. What do You think ? Any ideas, pros ?

furmirek:
"The alternate air supply" required for some reasons/organisations seems to be a must. The question appears immediately : add 4liters pony or switch to twin (even 2x8liters) ? I am tending to ss backplate and IMHO twin would be better. What do You think ? Any ideas, pros ?

This is a question tailor made to start a flame war.

There are some strong opinions on pony bottles.

Each set up has its pro's and cons. It is more important to be familiar with the set up you dive and to use the correct set up for the dive you do, as there is no one gear configuration that is superior to all others in all situations.

furmirek:

I think that is a very good question. Pony bottles are good for compact travelling but my personal preference is that dual tanks are nicer to dive as far as trim and stability is concerned.
I would not be concerned about the flames. It seems the people with the least knowledge flame the loudest.

Having used both, I would also suggest twins unless this is a one shot deal. Twins are somewhat more expensive.

MD

You will have more going for you by using double tanks with an isolator manifold than you will by adding a pony bottle to a single tank. With doubles, you can always shut down a problematic regulator and still have access to all remaining gas in your tanks. If you are having problems with just one tank, you can isolate the tank and breathe the remaining gas in the other tank, which is likely to be a larger volume than you are carrying in the pony bottle.

Once you start adding deco bottles to the scenario, an extra pony bottle will become even more of a hassle to carry around. Better to start with a diving style now and keep with it than to do something now and change later.

ScubaDadMiami:
With doubles, you can always shut down a problematic regulator and still have access to all remaining gas in your tanks.

Could you please explain this :06:

I think this type decision is somewhat dependent upon the type of diving you are doing. If you're diving less than 33 feet, you probably do not need an alternate air supply. Simply surface. If you are diving between 33 and 66 feet sea water, it would be good to have some kind of alternate air supply to get you to the surface. A pony bottle, or even (heaven forbid, a spare air), would do the trick here without overhead hazards. I have some doubles, and really enjoy their fit and feel. I use one set with a manifold that provides for duel regulators, and sometimes mount a double hose regulator on the center mount (older, Sherwood style), and a single hose as a backup. I also dive twin 50s with a regulator with an octopus, and don't worry about the duel function. The vast majority of my dives are less than 33 feet, however.

The DIR people are very specialized, and dive deep, decompression dives in wrecks or in caves. Here, the twins with two regulators, separate SPGs, etc., are excellent choices. But do not be deceived; DIR divers who dive this way do so because they cannot simply surface! To do so risks life-threatening decompression sickness unless they complete their staged decompression. Usually, they do not dive from a boat or shore facility that has a recompression chamber (a must for decompression dives by some authorities--JY Cousteau and the US Navy, for instance). So they must, absolutely, have a dependable alternative. However, they are on the "cutting edge" of safety, and something as small as a malfunctioning mouthpiece can mean the difference between life and death. This is not "sport diving" in the sense of the word I know, and IMHO should be avoided unless you really, truly have a very, very good reason for doing this kind of diving.

SeaRat

furmirek:

Troll troll troll yer boat.

If you have already decided on a SS BP for no apparent reason, then you have likely already been talked into twin tank diving for no apparent reason as well.

Therefore I suspect that you would be the most happy with a pair of twin 40s on your back. The manifold is going to cost you $150 extra, and the bands are about $100 more too.

Annual vis, especially if you dive EANx, is going to be a bigger pain (for someone to do, and for you to pay for) as well.

Hopefully you can reach the valves ok. Better start stretching and practicing.

MechDiver:
Having used both, I would also suggest twins unless this is a one shot deal. Twins are somewhat more expensive.

MD

Exactly right.

Also, for beach diving, twins are a pain to carry on your back. Especially walking back up the beach. Then eventually you need to get them refilled, another major headache, compared with the ease of lifting a single tank around.

It is not as big a problem with twin 40s as it is with bigger twins.

Also, for boat diving, it is easier to carry a pony bottle with you, and use the boat's single tanks, together with your pony, than it is to bring your twins with you, although boats have extra tank spaces for guys who bring their twins with them.

Divers who are really serious about twin tank diving have two or three sets of twins. Then things get really expensive. These are mostly technical expedition dives. Having only one set of twins is somewhat dinosaurish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom