Pony or no Pony ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt_unique:
Just to be clear, many divers have a completely opposite opinion to the philosophy above.

Some firmly believe in self sufficiency and the benefit in carrying backup gear.

--Matt

What he said.

__

matt_unique:
Just to be clear, many divers have a completely opposite opinion to the philosophy above.

Some firmly believe in self sufficiency and the benefit in carrying backup gear.
Some that believe in self sufficiency and the benefit in carrying backup gear also recognize that there is a point of diminishing returns.

In case that is too abstract, here's an example: I don't use doubles on 30' clear warm water reef dives. They would indeed increase redundancy and self sufficiency, but for me at least, the benefits are not worth the hassle. (And that is completely ignoring the fact that nothing comes for free, such as the extra weight and drag of doubles or a pony).

Look again at the conditions under which ES601 is going to be diving and decide whether or not a pony is an essential, or even a desireable piece of gear for those dives.

Charlie99:
Some that believe in self sufficiency and the benefit in carrying backup gear also recognize that there is a point of diminishing returns.

This is true. However, (with a little practice) there is not a lot of added effort in adding a pony compared to the added safety feature of having the necessary air in an emergency. The drag is minimal (at least for me), and the added weight is offset by removing a few lbs.

That said, at home, I always dive either twins or use a pony for anything over 40 ft, or if solo. I don’t bring one when traveling due to the inconveniences (it may also be hard to get one filled without a vis. if you remove all of the air).

Normally I would agree with everyone else about the dive being relatively safe with a buddy since the buddy is your redundant air source. BUT…….remember this is a 13 yr old buddy. He probably has great intentions but is still a 13 yr old. Many experienced DM’s and higher, can (and do) panic.

There is a good story in Diver Down (a book about “real world accidents and how to avoid them”). It is about a father and his (wouldn’t you know it) 13 year old son. The father ran into trouble (low on air), got his son’s attention and signaled he was almost out of air. The son didn’t grasp the nature of the problem and headed to the surface instead and informed the boat dad had a problem. They recovered the father on the bottom.

IMO there is no good argument for not being self reliant, even when buddy diving. If you’re deeper than you can ascend without any air, and with an EMPTY set of lungs, you are 100% betting your life on your buddy.

Have fun on the trip.... :14:

Charlie99:
Look again at the conditions under which ES601 is going to be diving and decide whether or not a pony is an essential, or even a desireable piece of gear for those dives. ...

I like consistency in my gearing. Proper use of my pony means I mount it, turn it on, check the pressure, do a reg breath, clip it off, have its 2 lb trim weight on the other side of the main tank, actually use it every so often, test runs. I, again personally, don't want to fart with the basic sequence, so truly carry it any time I'm in open water. Simply not carrying it would actually hose my trim -- I LIKE split weight, some on the back, some up front, and not carrying the pony means I'm either all front weighted or would have to remount the weight puch that goes where the pony bracket is.

So, for me, simplicity actually means carrying it consistently, having a set procedure, knowing how to use my gear.

markfm:
I like consistency in my gearing. Proper use of my pony means I mount it, turn it on, check the pressure, do a reg breath, clip it off, have its 2 lb trim weight on the other side of the main tank, actually use it every so often, test runs. I, again personally, don't want to fart with the basic sequence, so truly carry it any time I'm in open water. Simply not carrying it would actually hose my trim -- I LIKE split weight, some on the back, some up front, and not carrying the pony means I'm either all front weighted or would have to remount the weight puch that goes where the pony bracket is.

So, for me, simplicity actually means carrying it consistently, having a set procedure, knowing how to use my gear.

Speaking of farting does farting effect ones buoyancy??:06:

Yes, we use it when performing a CEFA -- Controlled Emergency Farting Ascent :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom