Pony mounting advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gwitek

Registered
Reaction score
A couple of years ago we (small rural fire district) bought 6 sets of new gear including 30 ft3 pony bottles which came with "mounts". I use the term loosely because they're crap - velcro straps around a double 'v' shaped bracket - the things have never tightened properly. But budgets being what they were, and the fact we trusted the sales guy, we were stuck. I rigged up several with long screw-type hose clamps - nice and tight - no wobbling - but bottle changing is a hassle.

Anyway, it seems we've freed up some cash and we're looking for new mounts. I could use come help.

We run alum 80's with the 30's on the side. The 30's have their own Sherwood ice regs which we bungie to the sides in easy reach of a lower right hand. it is the mount between the tanks I am looking for.

Thanks in advance!

Greg.

I used an aqua explorer pony mount. It has a much wider base than most cam band secured mounts and was secure even with a 30 cu ft pony.

A stainless scubapro type buckle also helps as they tighten the cam strap a bit more than standard cam buckles. They also make mounting the dismounting the pony easier as the band separates and does not need to be threaded over the 80.

Another option would be to sling it like a deco bottle, but despite what slung pony fans like to claim, it is a bit more in the way in soem situations and creates a bit more obstruction in front.

Scroll to the bottom of the page for the X bracket:

http://www.reefscuba.com/bracket.htm#The X-Bracket™

Check with your LDSs, I bought mine for $50. I use a 50cf and it keeps it secure.

You'll need to get a cam belt too, but you probably already have those.

I use a 30 pony on an Al 80, too, mounted valve-down with the X-bracket, reeved onto my tank band. Very solid, very simple. Second-stage and mini-gauge are bungeed to the tank, just as you describe.
I'm guessing Reef Scuba ought be to willing to talk serious discount for your quantity.

Dive Rite makes a quick pony mount that attaches to the cam strap of the BC and then to the pony. It slides in and locks and slides out when you are done. I have used several different types and this is the best I have used, even in a rocking boat, in 6-8ft swells its easy to switch over. Average switch time adds about 20-30 seconds to over all switch over. Locks in and stays tight.

Brian

Tiger gear makes the best PSD pony mount on the market but its not cheap. I've looked at quite a few and this is the most solid, detachable (necessary for PSD) pony mount I've found. The X brackets etc don't work because you can't readily detach the pony underwater quickly (ie 2-3 secs; 20 secs too long). No webbing that will loosen or spot welds holding the thing together. It was made by a PSD for PSD's.
We went with these and are pretty happy with them

http://www.tigergear.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom