Pony: Catalina or Luxfer? Din or Yoke?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClassAction

Reaction score
I'm just about to buy a pony (30CF). (Yes, I know they're not DIR.) Could anyone tell me whether there is a difference between Catalina and Luxfer bottles? Seems like the buoyancy characteristics are pretty similar. I saw one post on another board that suggested that Luxfer's float bottom up and Caralina's float valve up, which makes a difference if you're staging it. Is this true?

Also, I prefer DIN. Is there any reason I should go yoke instead? (About to order a new first stage, too).

Thanks in advance!

ClassAction:
I'm just about to buy a pony (30CF). (Yes, I know they're not DIR.) Could anyone tell me whether there is a difference between Catalina and Luxfer bottles? Seems like the buoyancy characteristics are pretty similar. I saw one post on another board that suggested that Luxfer's float bottom up and Caralina's float valve up, which makes a difference if you're staging it. Is this true?

Also, I prefer DIN. Is there any reason I should go yoke instead? (About to order a new first stage, too).

Thanks in advance!

Yes
Yes
No

You're welcome

I would suggest getting a 40cf Luxfer with DIN and rigging it as a deco bottle. Maximum versatility and minimum downside.

The 40cf has a useful volume and clipped off on your left side under the arm will present little drag, will be something that you can easily untangle or even hand off, it will allow you to charge the reg and then turn the valve off making sure that the bottle doesn't accidently bleed down, and it will be easily deployable.

No matter what size bottle you go with (well, I'll get to bottle size in a minute) you should mount it like UP suggested. The stage rigging method keeps the bottle inside the 'hole' created by you head and shoulders, so it doesn't add much drag. Also, you can reach the valve a lot easier, and it won't get tangled up.

About bottle size. I like that you decided to get a 30 cf bottle. Lots of people want to get a 13 cf bottle, saying that that's all they need. But for just a few more dollars you can get a bigger bottle. (steps off soap box) I would go for the DIN if that's what you use mostly.

Not sure if this is crazy, but my plan was to tank mount a 30 using a quick draw bracket for most dives. I ordered the bracket (haven't seen it up close yet), but it was designed so that you can remove it by yourself and pass it off if need be. I just started using a pole spear and going lobster hunting, and I don't think a stage is the best setup for those tasks (it would get in the way). For deeper wreck dives, however, (e.g. around 100 feet), I would just stage it. The bracket also allows you to stage the pony...

I'd suggest a 40 also. You'll have it if you decide to go the tech route, and if not, it holds higher resale value.

I have a catalina 30, I think is is a little big for recreational dives and it is not big enough for a deco bottle. When it has a reg on it it floats bottom up, so I don't think that matters.
I have a 20CF I use as a pony, On any recreational dive it has enough air to do a safety stop and surface, so it is all I need. The 30 is a too small to use as a stage bottle, so I really don't use it much anymore.

As far as a valve goes, since it is not a high pressure tank, get a modular valve. That way you can use it with both DIN and yoke regs. At my LDS the modular valve is a no charge upgrade from yoke.

TT :wink:

ClassAction:
Not sure if this is crazy
... but I see a lot of crazy people do the same thing.

Well if your craziness is such that you cannot keep from back mounting the pony then at least practice actually doing what the sales brochure says is possible: Practice removing and passing it off.

Also: Have a buddy wrap line around the valve and reg and see if you can remove the pony and untangle it. Practice deploying your pony regulator. Practice turning the valve on to simulate the time you will forget to turn it on before the dive begins. Practice what you will do when the pony is OOA because the pony reg freeflowed unnoticed during the dive. Stuff like that.

Uncle Pug:

Also: Have a buddy wrap line around the valve and reg and see if you can remove the pony and untangle it. Practice deploying your pony regulator. Practice turning the valve on to simulate the time you will forget to turn it on before the dive begins. Practice what you will do when the pony is OOA because the pony reg freeflowed unnoticed during the dive. Stuff like that.

Good ideas -- I will do that. One question -- I'm still going to have the pony's second stage in front of me (either in the traditional triangle or possibly on a necklace). How would I not notice a free flow?

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

ClassAction:
One question -- I'm still going to have the pony's second stage in front of me (either in the traditional triangle or possibly on a necklace). How would I not notice a free flow?

If the free flow was in the connection to the valve, or in one of the o-rings in the first stage. In the front, you can always abort your dive, and feather the valve if you need to use the tank. But if you didn't know, and you went to that bottle when you needed it and it was empty....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom