Pony Brackets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay_SMART_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Currently I am slinging my pony but I was wondering about pony brackets. I have seen and shopped a few and wanted to get opinions from people who bracket their pony. What bracket do you use and the good, bad, and ugly about them. (X-Bracket, Pony Tamer, etc.) Ease of install and use, can you quick disconnect to donate? Mounting; valve up or valve down? The reason I'm asking is I do on the bottom searches as a recovery diver and sometimes I do not use my pony due to it banging into me and the bottom on some of these searches, I think if I mounted it I would use it more frequently (like every time). Thanks for your time and Happy New Year.

If you're doing this as part of your F.D. they should have their own SOP for your pony. You can check out Pony Bottle. Different styles of brackets are discussed.

This is in the Public Safety Diver forum of this board. You can also contact Blades Robinson of Dive Rescue International here on SB.

I use the Dive Rite Remora for my AL19. It is secure, easy to take off/put on, and if the need arose, I could pass it off during the dive. I got it from Northeast Scuba Supply for $19.

I leave the cam band half on my BC even when not using it. You set it up by pulling the single pin upwards and sliding the pony on the bracket. A couple shakes to make sure all is seated correctly and you're done.

Tanks - Pony Mounting Systems - Remora Mounting System - Northeast Scuba Supply

I read a post a couple months back about a person having an issue with the internal spring in the mount seizing up, but that person was also able to get a free replacement from Dive Rite. I have not encountered any problems with it.

It does have a very small amount of play in it so that you can wiggle the tank about an inch or so back and forth. It does not affect the dive. If you felt the need, you could attach a second remora to your lower cam band and that would totally eliminate the movement.

If you're doing this as part of your F.D. they should have their own SOP for your pony.

We are a volunteer team with limited funding, since our gear is not standardized, or supplied we do not have a Pony SOP since not every diver has the availability to dive with one.

Thanks for the other info.

I use the Dive Rite Remora for my AL19. It is secure, easy to take off/put on, and if the need arose, I could pass it off during the dive. I got it from Northeast Scuba Supply for $19.

I leave the cam band half on my BC even when not using it. You set it up by pulling the single pin upwards and sliding the pony on the bracket. A couple shakes to make sure all is seated correctly and you're done.

As far as mounting the one half to the Pony, I see the kit comes with some clips and webbing, is that for mounting the Pony Bracket half to the pony or did you have to get a separate small cam strap? If so where did you get it.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
I use the Remora with an AL19. I mount it on the right of the main tank with the valve up and on. I have an SPG with a 30" hose that I stow in a bc pocket and the 2nd stage is clipped on a right d-ring. I may get another Remora from Northeast Scuba Supply for $19. Thanks Rand for posting that!

I also use a Diverite Remora (purchased from Northeast Scuba Supply) when using my AL19.
Since I use a few different rigs to dive (Backinflate Jacket, SS BP&W, AL BP&W) I used a separate tank strap for the mount.
When I first set it up I found it tended to make the standard tank strap loose and the pony moved more than I was happy with.
I had a Apollo Bio strap in my gear collection so I gave this a try. It turned out to be a great solution. I wear the pony to the right of my primary supply the pony's valve is high enough for me to reach it when needed and I clip off the reg over my right shoulder on a D-ring.
When using my AL30 I just sling it from my right shoulder ring to right waist ring.

The remora mount just comes with two halves, one for your BC, one for the pony. You supply the attachment method for your pony.

I use two stainless steel hose clamps with a rubber protector, to keep the hose clamps from scratching the tank, to mount the remora. I got the clamps and rubber protector from Reef Scuba Reef Scuba Tank Accessories, Page 1

PICT0780.jpg

My thinking was that the hose clamps were a little bit lower profile than having a separate cam band for the pony and that there is pretty much no way the hose clamps will work their way loose accidentally once you cinch them up good.

I bungie the reg on the pony so that a quick pull downward frees it. I have a brass snap on the pony reg to clip off if I ever end up using that reg since it is a little bit challenging to re-stow with the bungie underwater.

Back
Top Bottom