Pony Bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring finally some with common sence. If you have a problem with 2nd stage or hose you can rely on a redundant air source to get you out of trouble. I understand the buddy system and would rely on my partner , but sometimes that is not the case. I am really not looking to be argumentive. I just have some concerns.
The depths that we normally dive are between 40' and 90'. We dive San Carlos, Mexico, southern Ca. and local lakes (Phoenix Arizona) I am really sorry I started this thread.
O-ring thanks for you're concerns. You're opinon would be appreciated. thanks again

Jim,

You have to keep in mind that when it comes to pony bottles Uncle Pug’s thought process has been effected by too many fumes from the Pug II. But if you really want to get him going ask what he thinks of computers.

Don’t take things so personally. One of the best things about the board is the wide range of opinions, many adamant, that are expressed. Ask your questions and take all of the answers with a grain of salt!

As to doing searches, my opinion is; “yeah there’s a search button but there’s also an ignore button, if your not interested you don’t have to read it! But I think that Andy was only trying to help.

Mike

jpmorrison once bubbled...
**** YOU UNCLE PUG AND what ever you think you are . I will never consort with group again.
Whoa... temper, temper dude. You just got here and you're already swearing at Uncle Pug - Regulator extraordinare? I'm guessin' thats gonna be strike one for you.

JP

I just read your response to my post and i think you missunderstood what i was saying. If it sounded pissy, it wasnt ment to. I was just pointing out the search feature so you could explore all the posts the have been done about ponys in the past. There was no need to post the same info as it already all existed in the archives.

No point in attacking people so soon JP, Pug actually is quite helpfull, give him a chance. Lets start over

welcome to the board

Andy

G'day JP
Yep I have a couple of Pony's and love em
As a redundant air source you cant get any better!!
Although I trust and love my buddy, she being my wife, why put her through the stress of on OOA emergency, granted I have never run out of air from breathing it, but I have had in the old days before AI computers two HP hoses burst, and what did I do?

Well I reached down and turned on my trusty pony, took a nice cleansing breath from it, reached back turned my main tank off, and asked my wife in a most polite manner if she would mind assending with me to the surface.
Granted I don’t tend to take a pony if we are diving in less then 100ft.

Another example was diving with a good friend again his HP hose burst, stupid bloody things, anyway I handed him my pony and turned of his air supply, he being a large lad and was having trouble reaching it himself, then we proceeded to surface next to the boat.

The pony is a great redundant air source; I will be taking one on every dive below 100ft.

Good luck with your diving JP

As far as redundant air sources go:

1) Your buddy - if not diving as a unified team with really good buddy awareness this one doesn't count. Also useless if you choose to dive solo.

2) SpareAir - this one doesn't count anyway.

3) Manifolded doubles - expensive, need to be adequately trained in their use, useless and perhaps dangerous if you haven't practiced with them a lot.

4) Pony bottle/stage bottle

Just make sure that the pony is properly sized.

Spectre and I discussed this in another thread. I see little use in the small bottles that many divers carry for ponys. Even on paper, they only get you to the surface if you ascend immediately. In reality, I doubt that they would work as planned.

I'm not going to rehash the rest of the discussion here, except to point out that it is not always feasible to ascend immediately and that you should make sure that you can gather yourself and your buddies and make an orderly, safe ascent with all required stops on the pony.

For the depths you mentioned (less than 90 fsw, as I recall), I would not use less than a 30 cu. ft. AL tank. I would sling it on my left side like a deco bottle.

:) Thanks very much Sydney_diver, O-Ring, Northeastwrecks, and MikeS for you're comments. You guys have been very helpful. One thing I don't understand is why someone would say the air in a pony bottle belongs in tires or a pony bottle belongs in a store window. I do believe that my pony is to small. I have a 13cf Al. I will switch to the next larger size. The set-up that I use is the pony is mouted to the side of my main tank with the regulator hose going under my right arm where it is attached to bungee at my waist. This configuration works very well for me. Also My inflator hose is a regulator. Most important is My dive Buddy.
Thanks again for you're comments and if anybody is interested in diving San Carlos, Mexico give me a call. We have a great boat and capitain that can take groups up to 9 people on 1 day or 4-5 day live a boards. My telephone # is 480-575-7102.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom