Pony Bottles: Good or bad...where to wear them etc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frog

Reaction score
I am still overwhelmed with the sheer amount of indepth knowledge available on this great forum. Iv been here reading for hours heheh.

I have lots of questions but let me ask just 1 for now.

Q) Can i get some opinions on whether pony bottles are a good idea or a bad idea? I have read a little from divers who are for or against them. Many think they are a poor substitute for double tanks. While others suggest that you should never get into a situation whereby a pony bottle would be needed. My opinion is that it depends on the environment and depth to which you are diving. That is my opinion at this stage of the proceedings although its bound to change. If you are a pony user, where do you wear it? attached to your primary tank? under your arm? Whatever the case fellow divers, i would like very much your opinions on this subject. Much obliged.

Cheers Large Diver. Yeh i read that thread its one of the reasons i posted this thread. I thought a lot of people might avoid that thread due to the heated nature of it. I think in addition to this there are more points to this topic than what has been described on the thread you mentioned. I was going to ask on that particular thread , but it seemed a little "off topic". Hope you dont think im petty for posting again, i just arnt one to tread on peoples toes if you understand me.

Well Frog the ol' pony question is a good one. They obviously are a great idea because they offer you a complete redundancy back up as they are a seperate unit. So if something does go wrong with your cylinder or first stage, you can use your pony. And many people have a pony of nitrox to make their ascents/ deco stops even safer. They cost about £150 and the 2 methods of carrying them are either via clamp onto main cylinder (£50) or a slung bag (lots cheaper!) However, i personally don't use one because A. I hate the extra weight, and B. Believe that if you are in a depth that you can't make a emergency ascent, then perhaps a 3 litre tank wont make much difference anyway.
The other options you might be looking at are perhaps a pair of twin 7's or 10's (doesnt add much to the weight and has redundancy), or a 1 litre emergency cylinder, similar in size to the cylinder on a Buddy jacket, that has a mouth peice and is a straight demand valve. You will hear lots of different opinions about this subject, so I'm affraid it is up to you to give em a go and make your own mind up.
Grommits

I personally think pony bottles are a good idea. I carry a 30cf one. I have always had it strapped to my back, but don't like it there, so am experimenting with carrying it across my chest. I think I will like it alot better there. I don't think a pony should ever be used to prolong a dive. It is there for an emergency, such as a frozen 1st stage, etc. I carry a larger pony, because it can bring two divers up from a deep dive (100+ft) and allow a safety stop too. Also, I do not use Nitrox in my pony. If I want to use Nitrox during my safety stop, I hang it. With dives over 100 feet common, I prefer air in my pony. Just my personal preferences. You have to experiment with them to find out what works for you. My opinions are based on my own experience, and could change immediately following an "incident" where a pony is needed. ages

I carry a pony for two disparate reasons.
1. If I have a diver in a class that I don't trust to watch his air (they happen, regardless of all admonishments to do so).
2. As a deco bottle of EAN50.
In either case I carry it clipped on the left chest and waist.
If I'm not making a deco dive and I don't have a marginal student, I leave it on the boat.
Rick

I carry a 30 ft^3 stapped to the side of my primary tank. I carry it to help with emergencies, and plan on not using it. Obviously, this is a huge emergency tank. I decided to go big since the smaller tanks cost about the same and the impact to my gear configuration (buoyancy/attachment systems) was basically the same for a 12ft tank. I figured the extra weight on the surface was a small price to pay for the peace of my underwater. Thankfully, I haven't needed it yet!

I like the idea of carrying the tank clipped to my chest and waist and will try this configuration out next time I get wet! Best of luck to you!

For what it's worth....

I bought a pony some time ago when I started solo diving. I use it clamped to my main cylinder. The question of extra weight is only relevant on the surface, as you remove a corresponding amount from your belt. I haven't had occasion to use it in an emergency but I am always glad that I have complete air redundancy available. My view on 'Spare Air' is pretty much that it is of no use whatsoever in a real out-of-air situation and you would be better off without one. They simply do not hold enough air to be useful.

Ponys belong on racetracks,Sa is good for big wave surfing.DAN statistics don't mention any specific benefits,nor are they born out in an objective evaluation of OOA or Equipment failure incedents.They do however have the potential to teach very bad air management traits.I know we all say they are for emergencies only,but it is my experience that a time will come that mental discipline lapses due the percieved safety factor or even the extension of bottom time will occur.This is in addition to the fact that doubles with two 1st/2nd stages are the same price or less than most pony set-ups.For intelligient instruction on air management ,redundancy,and gear rigging take a technical course that teaches these skills.Also using Nitrox in a pony has killed quite a few folks who breathed thier deco mix at depth.A better route is to have designated deco bottle and breathe nitrox suitable for the depth of the dive,exclusive of the deco mix which should be a mix suitable to actually increase the gradient of the inspired nitrogen.The reason the soapbox came out is of the 4 diving fatalities in FLA in the last 2 weeks all could have been prevented by sound judgement and applying safe diving practices.We bury a lot of idiots here and it really hurts to read about how someone is descibed by thier family as a safe,conscientious diver has died such a needless and pointless death.Do I think a Pony will kill you,no probly not.Do i think it'll condition you to practice un-safe diving...... Yes.

Frog,

Let me first say that I ignore "heated" discussions about most anything as they are generally unproductive.

Ok, it seems like you are some-what interested in the DIR thing, so I'll give you my perspective. My bottle (AL 30cf - 80cf)neck goes on the left D-ring and down to the left hip D-ring. I can see the bottle, untangle the bottle, hand off the bottle, and I find it to be more streamlined and comfortable in that position. I use mine as a deco bottle full of 50/50. By getting used to it in this position, you can advance to multiple bottles for stages and deco gasses.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom