Pony Bottles: Good or bad...where to wear them etc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rather than flame others, I will answer the original question.
I sometimes use a 19cf pony slung like a stage/deco tank.
I carry it if I go deep with someone I don't know & trust (or solo).
I carry it for wreck penatration. I will be upgrading to doubles next year for the penatrations, after I take cavern/intro classes.

Personally, I made the choice during my "wreck" certification course.
Going thru a long passage on the Grove with my instructor 12-15 feet ahead of me, I realized that if I wacked my first stage on a hatch & lost air, my instructor would have to get to the next opening & turn around to come back. Also without a long hose getting out would be challenging.

I do not challenge the idea that doubles are "better". But for me there are times when a pony is a valid choice.

Since we've reopened the thread:

I'm not a big fan of pony's. This thread is one of many reasons why.

http://www.scubaboard.com/t74063-sometime-–-it’s-just-one-things-after-another….html

Instead of relying upon a pony, I prefer manifolded doubles.

If a person is going to use a pony, my suggestion would be to make it big enough to handle an emergency and that it be clipped to the chest and hip D-ring so that it can be monitored, passed, cleared of obstructions and kept in the diver's slipstream.

In terms of size, I don't really even notice my AL40 when its clipped off. It may be overkill, but that's what I'd use if I felt the need.

Frog:
Q) Can i get some opinions on whether pony bottles are a good idea or a bad idea?

Frog, et al,

To refer to the original question:

(1) A spare, redundant gas supply, with enough gas to safely surface with based on your worst case condition is ALWAYS a good idea. Under stringent conditions, twin cylinders with a manifold and isolator valves will be your starting point. However, on less difficult dives with one main cylinder, a redundant supply is still a good idea.

(2) NO redundant gas supply can substitute for good headwork.

(3) One of the most flexible systems is to clip it to your shoulder D-ring and hip D-ring. Carry it on your right side if it is high O2 content and left side if it is not, which is protocol for a two bottle system, or your choice for what is most convenient with one bottle. It is easily used by the diver, or handed off to another if necessary. (Ed. note: You will be surprised how easy a 30 or 40 cft bottle is to carry and swim with when tucked up like that.)

Hope that helps. Cheers!

shaneevans1:
There MIGHT (well, small chance of it apparently) be a person on here that might want to engage in a productive debate of the pertinent subjec.
Your first post in this thread was not part of a productive ongoing debate. It was argumentative and as you even admitted, inflammatory. I responded to that. If you don't like it, take your own advice and ignore it then :wink:

I think there are just under 10,000 threads about pony bottles :eek: Very passionate positions on both sides. I advocate pony bottles properly equipped, configured, and used.

Who's got the animated gif with the ogre beating his own head with a club? Not a knock my friend just a very old topic with tons of replies all over the board.

--Matt

Shane - it's called the search button. In order 'to be helpful' I'll tell you it's at the top, near the middle towards the right.

Have fun. When you're done reading all the Pony bottle arguments, let us know how your grandkids are doing.

And for the record:

While Snowbear is completely capable of beating you into little bits if she so choose, she has not. But word to the wise - if you go after Snowbear, you're going to have to go through a lot of other people, myself included. Back off dude.

ages:
Also, I do not use Nitrox in my pony. If I want to use Nitrox during my safety stop, I hang it. With dives over 100 feet common, I prefer air in my pony.

I don't have one yet, but wouldn't nitrox for an 100ft+ emergency be pretty good if you were previously breathing air?

Even with EAN36, you're not going to CNS tox immediately and the boost in oxygen to the brain should get you thinking straight pretty quickly...

Wouldn't this be a good idea?

Back
Top Bottom