Pony Bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I imagine that if the leak was large enough I would notice it on the boat when I do my pre dive gear check. If it occurs during the dive I'm sure I would hear or see the sudden burst of bubbles. I always check the pressure between dives, and I was that concerned about it during the dive I have a spare spg at home I could always hook up.
If I ever decide to go the full tech route I'm sure this will change. But I've been doing it since 97, and haven't had an issue.
If anything I'm thinking of switching to doubles. So this ain't be an issue.

**** happens, too many maybes there for my liking.

**** happens, too many maybes there for my liking.

I don't think you really understanding the reason some newer divers choose to carry a pony bottle.

It's there to eliminate those "maybes"..and allow them to be "self sufficient".

Pointing out the reasons they trust it when it might fail is considered harsh here.

And, as stated, they could always end the dive, go home, plug in an SPG and continue the dive with proper gas knowledge.

That would fix everything.

I imagine that if the leak was large enough I would notice it on the boat when I do my pre dive gear check. If it occurs during the dive I'm sure I would hear or see the sudden burst of bubbles.....

This is a good example of why it can be important to accept that others may have specific relevant experience.

Theorising about emergency scenarios is a flawed technique. There are enough real-life learning experiences within the diving community to share and develop from.

This is a good example of why it can be important to accept that others may have specific relevant experience.

I don't deny anyone's experience, and I don't immediately ignore other peoples opinions. I'm pretty experienced myself, and I see no problems with the way I carry my pony bottle. I know dozens of other divers who do it the same way.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please refrain from personal arguments and stay on topic. Play nice or you'll get kicked out of the pool

Theorising about emergency scenarios is a flawed technique. There are enough real-life learning experiences within the diving community to share and develop from.

That is an interesting twist. Isn't a 'thinking diver' supposed to consider (or mull over, or theorize, etc.) scenarios as part of mental prep to dive?

While I strongly believe in "Learn from other's mistakes; you don't have time to make them all yourself", I also don't know what I don't know, and a fully redundant backup is a good safety. However, there are far too many people happy with the way they carry it to say that any one way is 'better', just that the way it is carried is suitable for the diver concerned.

Back
Top Bottom