Pony Bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't hunt bugs (wish I could but they don't live in lakes), so that is not an issue to me. I have tried tank-mount and slinging and have opted to sling. Try both. Turn the air on and off with both setups. Deploy and stow with both setups. Then choose what works best for you.

I've tried both. Mounting works better for me. Although I have no need to turn the tank off, or hand it to someone else.

Although I have no need to turn the tank off, or hand it to someone else.

Good point. That point about turning the tank on and off was an SB-conditioned response. It seems that one does not have to drink the kool-aid - it obviously can also be absorbed percutaneously. I dive with my pony ON. One day I might be cool enough to dive with it pressurized, but OFF. I can only hope...

I don't hunt bugs (wish I could but they don't live in lakes), so that is not an issue to me. I have tried tank-mount and slinging and have opted to sling. Try both. Turn the air on and off with both setups. Deploy and stow with both setups. Then choose what works best for you.

I've tried both. Mounting works better for me. Although I have no need to turn the tank off, or hand it to someone else.

Sling it. Don't listen to Tanked; he just won't admit he's uncoordinated!

Sorry, Tanked, Tag, you're it!

Try them both . . . I just happen to prefer slinging, and this opportunity to tag Tanked!

:D

It'll definitely more "out of the way" when mounted to your tank, but partially depending on how you stow the reg, diving with the pony on may in reality leave you with a partially or fully depleted tank when you actually need it. Freeflows do occur, and they may not be full-on gushers that you're certain you'll hear. If your second stage for your pony (slung or backmounted) is "tucked" somewhere out of the way, it can leak without you knowing it. It's happened to me on a slung stage before, and that experience reinforced for me the wisdom of having the reg charged but the valve off.

It'll definitely more "out of the way" when mounted to your tank, but partially depending on how you stow the reg, diving with the pony on may in reality leave you with a partially or fully depleted tank when you actually need it. Freeflows do occur, and they may not be full-on gushers that you're certain you'll hear. If your second stage for your pony (slung or backmounted) is "tucked" somewhere out of the way, it can leak without you knowing it. It's happened to me on a slung stage before, and that experience reinforced for me the wisdom of having the reg charged but the valve off.

I have experienced a few cold water induced free-flows, both in my 2nd/octo and in my pony. This has reinforced to me the reason why I sling a pony - so that that secondary reg is right where I can see it (bubbling slowly, at least initially), and so that the first stage is where I can toggle it. However, I haven't yet interpreted a free-flow as a sign that the pony must be pressurized but off. One day I might change my opinion and dive with my pony pressurized but off. For now it is staying on.

I have read your invisible text and I don't understand it.

Perhaps Tanked is not as accustomed as you are to having obstructions near his chest while diving? :rofl3:

Sorry, Tanked, Tag, you're it!

Try them both . . . I just happen to prefer slinging, and this opportunity to tag Tanked!

:D

I think you like to sling it because it adds to your perkyness. I'm flat chested so it just gets in the way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom